The Year of Sorrow

The Prophet (pbuh) and his followers went back to a normal way of lifebut the years of hardship had made Khadijah very weak. She became illand soon afterward she died. Thus, the Prophet (pbuh) lost his belovedwife and friend, the first person to accept Islam and support him. She hadbeen a refuge from all his troubles and, through her good-heartedness, thebest company in his suffering. He had loved her very much. Thishappened in 619 A.D., the year which became known as the 'Year ofSorrow'. Soon after this, the Prophet Muhammad's uncle and protector,Abu Talib, also died. Abu Talib had been one of the most respected menin Mecca-one of the elders of Quraysh. Even though he had never been afollower of Islam, he had protected the Prophet (pbuh) against hisenemies. Not only was this a sad occasion for the Prophet (pbuh) but alsoa dangerous one. According to Arab custom, anyone who is under theprotection of another is safe so long as his protector lives. Now, with thedeath of his uncle, the Prophet's protection was gone. 

The Prophet's enemies rejoiced to see him so sad, without a wife toconsole and comfort him, and without his uncle to protect him. Theybegan to treat him worse than ever before. Even small children insultedhim. One young man actually threw some filth on the Prophet's head, butthe Prophet (pbuh) went home without making anything of it. When oneof his daughters rushed, weeping, to wash it away, he comforted hersaying, 'Do not weep my little girl, for Allah will protect your father.'Abu Talib had been the Prophet's last tie with Quraysh and the Prophet(pbuh) now felt that Islam could make no further progress in Meccabecause the hearts of Quraysh were closed against him. He decided,therefore, to travel to Ta'if where he hoped to find support. He walked allthe way to the town, which was seventy kilometers away. There he spokein all the places where people gathered, but no one listened to him. Hemet the leaders of the three most important tribes but they would notlisten either. Not only did they take no notice of what he said, but theylaughed at him and ordered their slaves to insult him and pelt him withstones. 

Sadly, the Prophet (pbuh) left the city and found a quiet place near awall on the edge of town where he could be alone. There he prayed toAllah in these words: " O Allah, to Thee I complain of my weakness,helplessness and lowliness before men. 0 Most Merciful, Thou art theLord of the weak, and Thou art my Lord. To whom wouldst Thou leavemy fate? To a stranger who insults me or to an enemy to whom Thou hast given power over me? If Thou art not angry with me, I care not whathappens to me. Thy favor alone is my objective. I take refuge in the Lightof Thy countenance by which the darkness is illumined and on which thisworld and the other depend, lest Thy anger descends upon me or Thywrath light upon me. It is for Thee to be satisfied until Thou art wellpleased. There is no power and no might save through Thee." The wallnear which the Prophet (pbuh) was sitting belonged to a garden owned bytwo brothers. When they heard his prayer, they were very sorry for himand sent one of their slaves to him with a dish filled with grapes. Beforehe began to eat, the Prophet (pbuh) said 'Bismillah' 'In In the Name ofAllah.' The servant, whose name was „Addas, was very surprised at thesewords, which he had never heard before. 'By Allah', said Addas, 'this isnot the way the people of this country speak.' 'Then from what country doyou come, 'Addas, and what is your religion?' asked the Prophet (pbuh). 'Iam a Christian from the Assyrian town of Nineveh', he replied. 'From thetown of that good man Jonah, son of Matta', added the Prophet 'How doyou know about him?' asked Addas. 'He is my brother-he was a Prophetand I am a Prophet', answered the Messenger of Allah (pbuh). Addasbent down and kissed the Prophet's head, his hands, and his feet becausenow he saw that he was truly a Prophet. The Prophet (pbuh) then walkedback to Mecca. He was now able to put up with everything patiently forhe knew that Allah would never leave him. His journey to Ta'if had notbeen in vain for Addas, the Christian, had become a Muslim, and thiswas to be the beginning of great changes.