three. trumpkin

★☆

three

three.

"YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL," LUCY GASPED, NEARLY TRIPPING OVER HER OWN DRESS AS SHE RAN TOWARDS VERA. The young girl reached for the pale green material and felt it between her thumb and index finger. She looked up at Vera with a grin. "You'll fit right in."

"Thanks, Lucy," Vera smiled, looking down at the dress Susan had given her. It didn't fit quite right in a few places, but who was she to complain? It wasn't as if they had a tailor on hand. She looked to the right and saw her school uniform in a pile on the floor, gathering dust. She frowned a little, feeling slightly bad having to part with it, though she greatly preferred the comfort of the Narnian material.

"Are you done yet?" Edmund's voice echoed from the ruins above, and Vera grimaced as Lucy held out a pair of boots. They had a slight heel and pinched her toes and didn't look comfortable in the slightest. So, Vera opted to keep her school shoes instead. "Girls always take far too long!"

The girls all exchanged irritated expressions, and while Susan and Lucy sped up a little, Vera took her sweet time. She peered into Susan's golden chest and whistled lowly. Susan chuckled softly. "Take whatever you'd like, I don't think we'll be coming back for a while."

"Take this!" Lucy practically dove in headfirst, her feet dangling in the air as she reached for something. She then pulled out a sword half the size of her body. Vera gasped and stumbled back into Susan, who steadied her. "Susan never used it, she only had it made because she wanted to prove she could fight better than Peter."

Vera looked back and saw Susan rolling her eyes. "He can't shoot an arrow like I can."

"That's something I would like to see," Vera grinned, taking the sword from Lucy and removing the scabbard. She was expecting it to be ridiculously heavy, but it wasn't. She twisted her wrist, and watched the metal glint in the lamplight. "Wow. Do I really need this, though? I don't want to hurt anybody."

"Don't worry about that. It suits you," Susan chuckled, before jumping out of the way when her friend swung the weapon. "Okay! Let's put that back where you won't accidentally kill anybody."

Lucy and Vera nodded in agreement and the three girls made sure that the blade was safe and secure before they left the ruins.

Vera squinted, lifting her hand to shield her eyes as she stepped back out into the sun. She didn't see Peter or Edmund at first, she just chose to follow Susan and try not to trip on any of the ruins.

It was only when she heard an awkward clear of a throat did she realise Peter was right next to her. She blinked a couple of times, before smiling. "I've got a sword!"

"I see that," Peter nodded towards the sword that seemed slightly too big for the teenager to be carrying. His eyes did linger a little on the dress before they made way back to her face. "Uh, you...you look..."