five. the dress

★☆

five

five.

VERA FOUND HERSELF MISSING HER SCHOOL UNIFORM. She pulled at her sleeves and cursed at her skirt almost every step she took, and it was beginning to annoy her companions. Of course, the Whittaker girl was a kind soul who was often a joy to be around, but when something annoyed her -- they wouldn't hear the end of it until it was fixed.

"Do you ever shut up?" Trumpkin grumbled as he walked between Lucy and Vera. The dark haired girl flashed him a glare as she adjusted her belt once again.

"You learn to block it out," Edmund chimed in from behind, snickering as Vera sent a crude gesture in his direction. "That's not very ladylike of you, Vera. I could order to have your head chopped off for insulting your king."

Vera scoffed, though a teasing smile played at her lips. "You're not my king. You're still Eddie Pevensie, the boy who can't tie his shoes properly."

"Low blow," Edmund grumbled.

"I don't remember this way!" Susan piped up, though her words were directed at Peter, who was leading the group.

"That's the problem with girls," Peter replied brightly. "You can't carry a map in your heads."

"That's because our heads have something in them," Lucy didn't waste a second in retorting. Vera laughed from where she had ended up at the back of the group.

"I wish he'd just listened to D.L.F in the first place," Susan muttered. Vera had started muttering about her dress again, so Edmund pulled her to a stop and drew his sword.

"D.L.F?" he questioned his sister as he used his blade to cut the hem of Vera's dress so that it hung just below her knee. She grinned at him as he shoved the excess material in his satchel. 

"Dear little friend," Lucy explained, and Vera pursed her lips.

Trumpkin stopped walking and exhaled. "That's not at all patronising, is it?"

"Do you want me to speak to her?" Vera asked, though she was partly concentrated on how much she could move her legs now due to Edmund's tailoring.

Trumpkin shook his head, pressing on.

★☆

"I'm not lost," Peter muttered to himself once they reached another dead end. Vera had stopped complaining and was now being rather pleasant; she, Lucy and Edmund had started a game of I Spy. It made it easier to come to terms with the new surroundings - the sights were so beautiful, and making the time to acknowledge them was almost soothing. 

"No," Trumpkin stated sarcastically, not bothering to look over at the High King. "You're just going the wrong way."

Peter turned around with an irritated expression. "You last saw Caspian at the Shuddering Woods. The quickest way there is to cross at the River Rush."