Chapter 7

*Will's POV*

I yawned, cat stretching and glancing over at Galen. He still hadn't woken up, though the slight movements he made in sleep were getting more frequent. Tobias, the pack doctor, had said it might not mean anything. Apparently even human coma patients will periodically move around. It by no means says they'll wake up any time soon.

Lawrence had said to stay in the room but after days of being trapped, I was getting antsy. My wolf was clawing at me, not used to being kept in for so long after basically living in that form for months. I'd tried to keep him somewhat pacified; eating practically raw steaks ever other meal, leaving the infirmary window open, staying by Galen's side. None of it was helping anymore. Still, I was terrified to shift inside. I never had been allowed to around Him. He had said my wolf was ugly and no one should have to look at it. I'm sure he's right. I'd never been looked at with anything but disgust before.

Sighing, I walked over to the spare cot and begin peeling off my clothes. I'd just shift for a few minutes, then back to my human form. I stretched again, allowing the familiar heat to shiver down my spine as I landed on four paws. I'd always been good at shifting quickly, not that it matter with a wolf as ugly as mine. Your wolf, supposedly, can reflect part of your personality. At least, that's what Warner had always said. Mine was flawed, but so was I. Not that I really knew. I've never been able to bear to look in a mirror.

I padded around the room, taking it in with a new set of senses. The scent of rubbing alcohol and past sickness was almost as overwhelming at the constant beeping of Galen's heart monitor. I flicked an ear in annoyance before hopping up on the bed. Nosing my way into the covers, I curled up in my normal place, despite now being the size of a small horse. My tail hung off the edge of the bed and my hindquarters were almost following, but I was more comfortable than I'd been in days. I rested my head on Galen's lap, not wanting to compress his still healing chest, and drifted off to sleep.

"So... you're the bastard I got my hide chewed for?"

I was roused from my sleep by the question, as well as thin fingers trailing through the longer fur by my ears. The voice was raspy and thick, like he had a chest cold, but still somehow appealing. I lifted my head to see Galen better, careful to keep my eyes neutrally on his chin. Much to my horror, I found I couldn't keep my tail from thumping against the bed like I was some kind of overgrown puppy.

"Yes, sir." I whined, embarrassed both by my reaction to him and by him having to see my pitiful wolf.

"Sir? Well, that's a new one." Smugness bled into every word. Risking a glance up, I saw that his eyes held the same cocky gleam.

"Happy to see me? You know you could go fetch me the morning paper while you're at it." I flattened my ears and tried to inch away. He was making fun of me, I knew he was. It always started that way. First the teasing, then it would get more physical. I slunk off the bed and bolted under the neighboring cot. I knew he could still get to me if he wanted, but maybe he'd be to tired to try. By the time I looked back up at Galen, he was sitting up and staring at me.

"Why are you under there?" His voice was stronger now. He was gaining strength quick, but he was an Alpha so of course he was. I pressed myself further back against the wall. Go away, go away, go away. Mate or not, He was going to hurt me now that he was awake and had seen me. He would know my wolf was disgusting, that I was disgusting.

*Galen's POV*

I watched as the rogue crawled from my bed and cower under the other cot. What the hell? All I'd done done was joke around a little to make things a little bit less formal. He'd called me "sir" for God's sake. I don't think even the lowest ranking wolves called me that. And now he was hiding under the next cot, shaking like I was about to beat him. Using a good bit of the energy I'd regained, I struggled into a sitting position and stared at him.