Chapter Five:- Alex MN Ranger

The tip of the spear that was aimed at my chest was enough to make my miserable life flash before my eyes. Beads of perspiration trickled down the sides of my face. For a moment I started to pray thinking that this was the end of me.

When I thought my time was nearing its end, I heard someone scream "No!" then the cracking of branches from a nearby tree. The person tightened their grip on me.

“Nicky!” a voice yelled from the direction of the tree behind the mysterious boy who’s only interest was having us dead. My rapid beating heart slowed as everyone looked towards the direction where the girl fell out of the tree.

The commander, the strange boy, ordered two of what I perceived as protectors or warriors or whatever to carry the unconscious girl to her hut as he gritted his teeth and looked back at me studying me before he gave them orders to carry us to his tent. The people who restrained us yanked me forward, just as the President’s soldiers did. The incident of my short imprisonment being recalled sent a shudder down my spine.

I looked over at Nate, who tracked beside me looked over at me infuriated. I glared back at him and his steely cold glower as he turned forward walking with his hands tied behind his back.

As he entered the tent, the black stained fabric brushed against the leather jacket he wore. I could smell the smoky fragrance radiating off it as I enter. The brutality of the boy was unnecessary as he demanded what our interest was in this place.

I scowled, “Can’t I take a walk in a ruined village on such a lovely day like this?” I snapped back at him. I saw the muscles in his neck pull with irritation from my sarcasm.

“I will not tolerate any sass from city residents, people of destruction and greed,” he says pacing around the dry dirt ground of the tent as he circled us, analyzing us. “Red, release them and go and check on Nicky and report back to me after I deal with them.”  The girl who threatened to end my life with a spear and the other boy left the tent.

He looked back at us skeptically, as if we fell like the girl, who I assumed is Nicky. He invited us to explain ourselves and our desires with the scavengers.

Nate took the opportunity to explain, telling him what happened last night. I knew that by now it would be early in the morning. He told him of getting drunk and our temporary imprisonment in that hell hole, running away from the jail, stumbling upon the hidden village and meeting him. He left out who my father is thankfully.

I took my chance to speak and asked him, “Who are the scavengers?” I raised my eyebrows towards the boy who was sitting in a cot.

“Let's just say that we're the remnants of the village,” he stated coldly as if the answer didn’t matter to him or the fact that it’s been asked a lot of times. “Who are you, why did you leave the city and what information do you contain?” he asked me the series of questions I knew would come sooner or later.

I had to confess, I winced in pain thinking of the memories, hoping that they would just vanish. I looked over at Nate desperately seeing that the guy had figured out my true identity. A pained expression crossed his face as I directed my attention back to him knowing fully well that sometimes just saying my name brought anger and hatred to him. 

Nate is the only one I could’ve told everything too, he is one of the few friends I have, the only person who understands me with the thousands of people living under my father’s laws, the ones I tend to always break.

“Nate Steel and Alex Ranger,” Nate motions towards me as he informed the boy of our names.

“Who are you?” I intrude before Nate can continue. A slight trace of amusement flashes across the boy’s face.

“Fringe, no more questions,” he smiled, “Continue to entertain me,” he waved on motioning for me to keep going on. I gritted my teeth and I felt like throwing something at his pretty little face.

Nate told Fringe that he was nineteen and gave him some more of our personal information which mainly included the fact that my father is really President Ranger. He even told him that we needed an escape from all that he inflicted on both Nate and I. I looked down at my sneakers painfully remembering how it started, her gaping mouth, the thick dark substance which made my blood run cold as I saw it flowing endlessly.

Everything started with death and it will end in death. The President's death will be my vengeance.

I breathed slowly as I awaited Fringe’s response. I looked at him as his mouth twitched at the sides. I glared at him and I could see his light brown eyes, different from Nate’s dusty eyes, twinkle. I looked back at Nate again and he looked somewhat relaxed but along his jawline, the place where Fringe hit him, was darkened .

“Do you want to join us, the Scavengers?” Fringe proposed, “We will offer you the same revenge that everyone here wants.”

I considered it. I looked over at Nate and his eyes showed me that we needed to accept and only then we will be liberated from the custody of cruelty.

Fringe extended his right hand and I looked at his eyes, I could see the desperation in them: they really wanted vengeance. I wanted the same, so did Nate but for the things he did to me. I nodded approvingly, he slipped his right hand into Fringe’s then shook on it, a deal of retribution

 A/N

Sorry for taking so long to update, :( we promise to work out an updating schedule so you don't have to wait so long.

And we hope that you guys are enjoying the story so far.

Thanks, Alex and Nicky :)