Chapter 1: The champions are out

"Here we are, ladies and gentlemen, on another exciting match of pro-bending! Are you r-r-ready to watch the show?"

The thrilled voice of the commentator rang across the giant arena. Deafening cheers of a plentitude of fans were the response to his call. The arena was as full as usual, but that was to be expected when it was the most popular sport both within the boundaries of the Republic City and the world at large. After all, no one hosted Pai sho tournaments, to the disappointment of many players.

The arena was truly enormous, apart from the tiered rows for guests and viewers, the hub of the commentator himself, there was the ring for the players, more like a hexagon, actually, with the prolonged sides. It was split in half and coloured in blue and red colours, located in the very middle and separated from the rows by a very deep pit leading into a pool of water. The issues of safety had long been solved. Apparently for the match when a rock disk could break your ribs falling from the height of many meters into the water was not an issue. Few cared, the viewers came for entertainment, the competitors — for the tournament's enormous prize funds. Survival of the fittest in its finest. The lights were blaring so bright that one could barely see the night sky from under the glass dome.

Meanwhile in one of the ends of the stadium stood the members of the named new team. Each team consisted of three members, and this one was not an exception. Their faces were covered by the dark glass attached to the helmets. The aura of mystery added them some new fans. One of them was obviously a girl, while the others had male builds. The defence suits were painted in black and silver. The girl was fixing the gauntlet on her arm.

"Wolfbats?" The guy asked, "Couldn't they pick a more edgy name?"

"We are called lizard crows." The girl deadpanned and turned back.

"Hey, lizards are not as cool as crows, that's why I agreed. The name wasn't my idea."

"Nonetheless, we will handle their asses to them in no time," his female teammate retorted. The third member of the team remained silent.

The talkative guy laughed, shaking his head in amusement. He crossed his arms, leaning against the wall, "That's why I like you. You have an undying self-confidence."

The girl smiled underneath her mask. The announcer suddenly emerged from the platform in the middle of the ring, from beneath. He was holding a mic in one hand and a list of paper in another. The team prepared to go at being called forward. With the loud and clear voice of his the announcer spoke up.

"Introduucing the team of our new promising underdogs, the Lizard Crows!"

The platform they were standing on moved, transporting the team to the ring. The guy on the team meanwhile grumbled because of being called underdogs. With the loud cheers of the crowd the team stepped into the arena. Usually the teams gave some sort of introductory show, but the Crows were doing none. Partially because of one particular member's lack for empty showcases. The guy, on the other hand, was fully on board with the idea. But he did not complain, he came here to dight too, albeit because of more altruistic ideas. The lights above them went out, as the introduction was over.

"And in another corner...we have our thrice champions, the winners of many games...the White Falls Wolfbats!"

Unlike the Crows, the Wolfbats did give a show. First the lights flashed, revealing them standing on another side, but their appearance made the male Crow burst into laughter, his girlfriend laughed too, but more quietly. With their bat masks above the dark capes they looked ludicrous. And when they howled, outstretching their pseudo-wings, that simply did it for the Crows. Yet their reaction went unnoticed by many, as the laughter was drowned in howls, mini explosions from the fireworks and the fire show. The Wolfbats finally took off their masks, soaking in all the attention around, waving back and hearing the squeals of their fangirls. Their captain was indeed sleazy-looking, with a long forelock. Only when the Crows stepped into the center they paid attention to their foes.