Chapter eight

@onedirection followed me on twitter @ 7:55pm on December 23rd after I was tweeting about the 1D TV special that played in America! I was the only one they followed at the time. I feel so lucky! This is so amazing!

Ariana's point of view

It felt like years waiting to hear from the doctor that Zayn had woken up. Yet, it had only been a few hours since the surgery began. We were informed that he was in recovery about 45 minutes ago so it should be any minute until we can go back and see him.

The odds proved they were for me because a few moments later, a male nurse walked over to us with a big smile.

"Great news. Zayn is doing just fine. Surgery went terrific." He smiled proudly. "He was initially being held as an admitted patient but since the surgery went well and he is responding well to the medication, we have filed him to be an outpatient. He should be ready to go home in less than an hour."

I instantly felt relieved. "That is great. Thank you. But what about his leg? Will he be casted or just a boot brace?"

"He will be in a boot for a few weeks." he said. "For showering or swimming concerns, we have him in a waterproof boot. There should be no problem. As of now, we strictly advise that he keeps the boot on at all times for a week. Then he may take it off to air his leg out from time to time. When we see him in two weeks for his next check up, we will discuss further plans. But now, I think Zayn really wants to see you guys. He's been asking ever since he woke up."

I smiled. "Well, take us to him."

We all followed the nurse as he walked us past the closed doors. Delaney held onto my hand tightly and I lead her in the direction that we were following.

We were lead down a hallway and through another pair of doors and then we reached an area where outpatients rested until they were told they could go home.

This," The nurse said while walking and looking at the room numbers. "This is his room. Have a good evening. Glad surgery went well."

And then the nurse left us in front of a door to Zayn's room. I was the first to walk in and Delaney was next, who still held my hand as I basically dragged her through the hospital. Then came Harry and Lexi, who smiled sympathetically at Zayn.

Delaney cheered, "Daddy!" And then she ran up beside him who was sitting up on the bed. He smiled at Delaney and helped her onto his bed.

"Hey sweetheart." They hugged and he kissed Delaney's forehead. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." She assured him even though we all already knew so. "Does your foot feel better yet?" She looked down at his booted foot.

"Not quite yet but it should be getting better soon." He said and smiled at me. I walked closer to them and smiled back. "How are you doing?"

I rose an eyebrow. "The question is; how are you doing?" I responded and he chuckled.

"I'm doing fine. I just asked because you look like you're about to fall over dead." He said, jokingly.

"I'm just about." I joked back. "I'm just exhausted and my back is hurting."

He frowned a bit. "I'm sorry, love."

"No worries." I smiled halfheartedly. I changed the subject, "Well, they said you get to go home. That's exciting."

He let out a breath. "Yeah it is. I can't wait to sleep in our bed. It's so much more comfortable than this one. And I can't wait to not smell like a hospital."

"We know the feeling." I chuckled.

I had almost forgotten that Harry and Lexi were here until Harry coughed and directed the attention to himself. "Just so you know, the guys are coming over tonight. They said you called them last night and they are coming over to spend the evening with you."