~ C H A P T E R T W O ~

TW: SUICIDE/MURDER

          Beatrice ran down the hall faster than the speed of lightning. If Mr. Sore had touched her little sister, oh, he was so dead. But Kaylie was not harmed by Mr. Sore. In fact, Mr. Sore was the one harmed. His dead body was hung in the closet, a rope tied around his neck, and blood dripped from an empty left eye socket. Beatrice's breath shortened, and Kaylie continued to scream, but really—what could Beatrice do about it? A five-year-old just witnessed a dead body. She's only five!

"Ok, calm down. I'll call the cops."

She rushed back down the hall to the living room and dialed 911 on the shiny black phone. A woman picked up.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"Hello! My little sister found my father dead in the closet!"

Beatrice called Mr. Sore "father," which surprised her quite a lot.

"The address?"

"1294 Lyndale street. Apartment number 124."

"We will be over soon. Stay where you are."

The line went flat, but Beatrice kept holding the phone to her ear, not knowing what to feel. She should feel depressed, or maybe scared, but she felt none of those emotions. Confusion, maybe. But she had no real feelings for this cranky man. She had been hurt by many of his words, weakling, go burn in hell, useless machine. He had never been a real father. Real fathers love their children. Not abuse them.

"Sissy! Bee! I'm scared! Is daddy ok..?"

"Calm down Kay. Feel my heart, it's calm, right?" She brought the little girl's hand to her chest.

"Fast."

"Well, that's pretty normal considering the circumstances."

There was a knock at the door, and when Bee opened it, it was the police.

"Young one, please step outside." A burly black-haired man said to Kaylie. "You, young lady. Can I please speak to you?" Kaylie looked up at her older sister.

"It's ok, Kaylie. I'll be out in a second." Kaylie nodded and sniffled, then obediently stepped outside.

Ł

"Eatrice, you said your name was?"

"Beatrice. Beatrice Johnson."

"Ok, Beatrice. I need you to tell me how this all happened."

"So, I was putting away groceries when Kaylie screamed. I got worried, so I instinctively ran to see if she was OK. She was staring at Mr. Sore, and he was dead."

"I see you called him Mr. Sore and not dad. Why?"

"Well, he was never actually a good foster dad to us. He would completely ignore Kay and force me to be a scullery maid. He was constantly drunk."

"Was he ever in a relationship?"

"Well, not when Kaylie and I were around."

"I see."

He nodded at Beatrice for a second, and said, "You may leave now."

Beatrice ran out and embraced her sister. They stood there for quite some time, until Kaylie whispered, "It's ok,"

"I know," Beatrice said back.

"Sissy, I was talking to my dolly"