~ C H A P T E R T H R E E ~

Beatrice and Kaylie stood in front of the large orphanage doors, still trying to explain to themselves why everything they owned was in two backpacks. The doors opened, and Miss. Donnely took them in a large hug. "Oh, you poor babies! That must have been terrifying!" Kaylie started to cry, but Beatrice held on. Her mother always said: "Crying will get you nowhere, Beatrice. Only thinking."

Well, Beatrice was thinking. About Kaylie, about the closet, about the dead body...

Beatrice squeezed her eyes shut. A dead body was the last thing she wanted to think about.

"Miss, we're getting soaked. Can we please come in?"

"Of course. I will make tea for everyone!"

As Beatrice and Kaylie wandered around the orphanage, they only saw one familiar face; Damian.

"Never got adopted, huh?" She asked him.

"Nope. Whenever someone would ask me what I enjoy, I said inventing. They all kinda looked at me like I was scared. I even overheard one couple say they didn't want a bunch of "metal mishaps" in their house."

"Wow, that stinks. Kay and I were adopted by an addict and I was forced to be a maid."

"Did he at least treat the five-year-old well?"

"Nope. He completely ignored her. But, I think Kaylie was kind of oblivious to it. She just doodled, watched TV, and played with her doll, of course."

"I'd rather be here than doing housework 24/7."

"You bet you would. I got so many blisters I lost count!"

The two laughed for a bit, then Miss Donnely came in with her favorite mint herb tea.

"You know, ladies, there is a new girl you might want to meet. Her name is Lily."

"Yes, Miss."

Miss Donnely winked, and said, "I'll leave you two alone."

Beatrice looks at Damian and says, "She actually thinks there is something going on between us?"

"That, or wishes."

The two sipped their tea peacefully. That is until Damian brought up Mr. Sore.

"You know, I snuck the morning paper from Miss Donnely's bedroom. That story about your old man? It's on the front page." He handed her the newspaper. A picture on the front page showed Mr. Sore Hanging in a closet. "The cops say it was a suicide."

"The picture was way less gruesome than the actual event. Like, his left eye. In the picture, it shows his left eye right there! But in real life? It was missing, and blood was coming out from the socket."

"Spare me!" Damian laughed.

"No, I'm serious. It was completely and totally gone."

"And I'm serious, spare me."

At that moment, they heard a voice. It was an unfamiliar voice, but it was coming from the room. The voice was speaking something gibberish, and it seemed that it was coming from the doll. They all noticed it, including Kaylie. She stared down at the doll, and yelled, "NO! No hurt! Hurting people bad!"

Beatrice and Damian stared at each other, and Damian shakily spoke, "S-she's most likely just being her childish self."

"Yeah," Beatrice quickly agreed, and they both ignored the strange voice they had all just heard.