Chapter 7: The Long And Winding Road

Author's Note: My idea of George and Pattie leaving home was inspired by Rod Stewart's 1981 hit song, "Young Turks". The music video is right up there  ↑ ↑ ↑  (coincidentally, one of the characters in the song is also called Pattie)

George sped through the highway at a hundred kilometers per hour with Pattie seated in the passenger seat, sticking her head out through the window, and they were both singing along to "Johnny B. Goode". 

It was a Friday morning, exactly two days after they had made the big escape from Liverpool. They were now on their way to London to check out its sights and sounds. Buckingham Palace, Carnaby Street, Big Ben, the London Eye, the Tower Bridge....

"Oh, George, I can't wait!" Pattie squealed. "Carnaby Street is going to be groovy, absolutely groovy!"

George chuckled. "Yeah, I'm so glad we went on this trip together. Just the two of us."

"It's definitely better than school."

"Definitely."

At one point, they spotted a young, twenty-something year old woman standing on the side of the highway, cradling a baby in her arms. She was well-dressed and looked pretty decent, so they decided to give her a ride.

"Where to?" Pattie asked.

"The capital, please. I'm meeting my husband there."

"Alright then, hop in." George said.

The woman quickly climbed into the back seat and placed her baby on her lap. "I'm Lucretia, by the way. Lucretia Taylor. And this little girl's name is Elizabeth. She's only six months old."

"Cute," Pattie chirped. "Can I hold her?"

"Erm, yeah, go ahead."

"Be careful, darling," George warned. "If you drop it, we're screwed."

"I won't drop it!" Pattie rolled her eyes.

After about thirty minutes of driving, they stopped at a gas station for a tank refill. George manned the fuel dispenser, Pattie went to use the ladies' room, while Lucretia and baby Elizabeth stayed in the car. 

"My, my, what a pretty automobile," Lucretia murmured. She slowly ran her fingers over the smooth leather seats. "I wonder if there's anything here I could steal..."

Suddenly, a pregnant woman in a white maternity dress came bounding towards George, who was now lighting his fifth cigarette of the day. 

"Hey! Hey, mister!" the woman yelled. "Do you give rides?" 

"Yes, I do," George replied. "Where're ya headed?" 

"London. My wedding there starts at three-thirty."

"You're getting married?"

"Yeah, at a registry office."

"Well, congratulations!"

"Thanks a lot."

The woman heaved herself into the Rambler's back seat, and that was when she met fellow hitchhiker Lucretia. They were actually the same age; twenty years old. 

"Peace," she said.

Lucretia nodded. "Hullo."

Pattie was finally done with the ladies' room after about ten minutes, but by that time, George's patience was practically non-existent. 

"What the bloody hell took you so long!?" he demanded.

"I had to change my tampon." she shrugged. 

"Whatever, get in the goddamn car."

As they sped off, Pattie was introduced to the pregnant woman, whose name turned out to be Mindy Butler. 

"Are you a hippie or something?" Pattie asked. "'Cause you sure do look like one, with all the flowers in your hair."

"Good eye." Mindy chuckled.

"Wait, when's the baby due?" Lucretia interjected sharply. 

"In a few days."

"What are you gonna name it?"

"Hmm, I think, Betsy."

"Betsy," Pattie echoed. "Far out!"

Then everyone went silent, because The Box Tops started playing on the radio. Their most popular single, "The Letter", had just reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100, according to the radio host. 

"Oh, I love that song," Lucretia gushed.

"Me too," chimed Mindy. 

All of a sudden, she leaned over forward, careful not to crush her belly, and grabbed Pattie's bag of french fries. "Sorry, but ma kid's gotta eat. Hope you understand."

"Y-yes, yes, no problem." Pattie nodded vigorously. "Knock yourself out!"

As Mindy stuffed her mouth, Lucretia took the time to carefully examine her dark features.

"Say, you look a lot like Cher," she told Mindy. "Or am I just dreaming?"

"Nah," Pattie disagreed. "I think she looks more like Joan Diaz."

"Baez," George corrected her. "Joan Baez."