What it Feels Like

There is a sea; a never-ending body of water that continues on and on with no sight of a horizon until the very end. Floating in this sea is a life sentence given to many without their knowing and drowning has and will forever be the fate of an unfortunate number.

Waiting is the hardest; the times when no life rafts or boats go by for the longest of times and with each moment without a safety net or floatation device grows to be more desperate and the feeling of absolute uncertainty grows. No passing floaters, no images of hope lapping in the waves and no land in sight. The floating grows tiresome and when the waves and wind pick up, treading water is exhausting and no one is around to see the struggle.

For some time, the water rises and the difficulty of keeping your head above water grows to be so overwhelming that you nearly get to the point of giving up. Letting the sea swallow, you and your body float on lifeless to a shore that appears only when you've given up or met your end. At what feels like your last moment, just before giving up, you face your last options; call for help, wait for the next life raft or give in to the pain.

This is where many floaters lose their lives in the sea. The shore appears and rest is final. The release is only sad for those who remain and thus is why so many floaters continue to tread. You float on and wait for the next boat, raft, or piece of drift wood to rest for a while before returning to the water. You know the shore is an option, its always lurking in the back of your mind but your heart continues to fight far more than you yourself would ever think possible.

So, continue on, and when you reach those deciding moments when the waters are most treacherous and you are the most exhausted you've ever been, call for help. Calling out over the crashing waves and drowning lungs of water is sure to attract the attention of someone somewhere and hope will appear to you in the sea.