Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 4

"Can you get that? My hands are wet." Caitlin called as the buzzer for the door went off.

The squeak of the wheels on Keith's walker echoed through the tiny apartment as he shuffled towards the intercom, and pressed the button without asking who it was. She dried her hands and peeked at him through the door of the kitchen.

"Are you expecting someone?" she asked, grinning. A visitor! What a great thing. Keith had seemed down today, and this might cheer him up.

"No, can't say I am. Should put the pot on," he replied, smoothing his hair.

A few moments later, a light knock at the door sounded, and Caitlin opened it to see the youngest West brother standing on the other side, a loaf of something in one hand, and a six pack of beer in the other. He was wearing a well-loved, brown leather jacket and faded jeans. And of course, like every ranching man in Alberta— cowboy boots that looked to have stories of their own.

"Hi," he said tentatively, and bit his lip as he looked through the door. "I hope I'm not interrupting."

"Oh hi! Brady, right?" she said, remembering his name just in time. "Not at all! Come in!"

She took a deep breath as he passed by. She remembered him from the mall, and reminded herself that he was not dangerous and she did not need to be scared. When she turned to him again, she was met with the broad planes of his chest as he stood in front of her. She backed up a step, and he smiled nervously at her.

He was handsome, with those hazel eyes and soft, short hair, and had charm and personality in spades, she thought. It would be obvious if he relaxed and smiled fully, but from the looks of the thunder clouds gathering over him, he was worrying about something in his head. She should leave them to talk.

"We just finished Keith's exercises. I was on my way out. I can put coffee on if you like before I do?" she offered.

"Brady! My goodness! Good to see you, boy! Come sit," Keith exclaimed, as he parked himself at the tiny table in the living room area that doubled as a dining room.

"Thanks, I brought his favourite beer," Brady said as Caitlin beckoned for him to hand her the bag. The loaf was still warm, and the plastic bag it was in crackled as she crooked it on her arm. What a lovely gesture. He was thoughtful too.

He plunked the beer on the table, swivelled a chair down and sat on it backwards, facing Keith. She got a good look at how toned he was when he shouldered his jacket off, a grey t-shirt leaving nothing to the imagination. His back was rippling defined muscles under the fabric.

Did all ranching men look like that? She blinked, realized she was staring, and moved back into the kitchen. She unwrapped the loaf and set it on a plate. It smelled amazing, and her stomach rumbled because she'd forgotten to have lunch, once again. She heard Keith and Brady exchanging pleasantries, their voices muffled through the wall between them and she thanked God that at least one of the brothers had followed through with their promise to visit.

Keith needed the boost. He kept up a good game, always smiling, jokes and stories, but she knew he was lonely and it was terrible to see such a wonderful man without a huge family surrounding him. He should have had a bucket load of kids and a wife to take care of him.

She stopped herself from thinking on that further because who was she to push stereotypes on people? He'd never told her why he was alone, and it was none of her business, truly.

"Caity, could you bring that loaf out? I haven't had Peony's rhubarb cake since I don't know when. I can't wait!"

She sliced it, and joined them, placing it on the table, brushing Brady as she did. Her skin prickled and her stomach fluttered in worry, so she stepped back and took a deep breath. Keith's hand reached out and snatched the end piece, a sigh escaping as he did, making her smile at his happy reaction.

icon lock

Show your support for Caroline A. Richardson, and continue reading this story

by Caroline A. Richardson
@MustangSabby
Brady West falls for the beautiful Caitlin Fenshaw when he least expe...
Buy a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 34 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @MustangSabby.