Two.

Monday, 15 June

Fore Street wasn't particularly busy this early in the morning

Fore Street wasn't particularly busy this early in the morning. People were driving to work, and others were strolling by near the road, leaving the main shopping street of St Ives almost deserted. The bright yellow early morning sun peeked over the rooftops of the stone cottages, casting some of the street in a tad too chilly shadow and the other half in cool sunshine. Having just had breakfast with Bessie, Naomi was strolling along the cobblestoned street, relishing in the calmness at the start of the week.

Wearing her satin pleated forest green midi skirt, a white tee shirt and white Vans, Naomi was a little cold, but her walk wasn't a long one. She walked by Vintage Divine a few times since she arrived, but had never gone inside. Today that was going to change. With her tote bag at the ready in her purse, Naomi entered the vintage shop, quickly noticing she was the second customer there. She strolled on over to what looked to be a rack of dresses and long skirts. She had absolutely nothing else to do all day so she could spend all of it in here, she didn't care. She'd most likely enjoy her time there very much.

Capital was being played over the speaker, and though Naomi wasn't sure that was the kind of vibe a vintage shop had, she loved it regardless. It had been so long since she'd been in a vintage shop, and never had she had the privilege of buying something without having people inspect her finds when she got home. She was sure she walked around for an hour, maybe even a bit longer, before she recognised the voice talking behind the till.

Looking over, she saw Florence, one of the ladies in Bessie's little knitting circle. She picked up the red and pink headband she'd been looking at before making her way toward her. When their eyes met, Naomi gave Florence a wide grin that she returned, waving Naomi over.

"Would you look at that? Speak of the devil, ey, Camila?" Florence said, gesturing at Naomi. A woman around the same age glanced at Naomi over the rim of her glasses, raising her eyebrows as she studied her.

"This is her?"

"Sure is."

"Oh, my word, what an absolute beauty. Why Harry kept you away for so long is a mystery."

"Aww," Naomi chuckled. "Thanks. More to do with privacy than anything else, I suppose."

"You know," Florence said as she started scanning the items Naomi wanted to buy. "We were just saying, the person who most needs a partner right now is Harry."

"Yeah, that lad's been stuck in that lighthouse ever since his father died. It's very sad," Camila went on, making a point of looking at both Naomi and Florence over her glasses to see them clearly. "Maybe you can break him out of his shell a bit. Think having someone like you who can take him out will be good for him."

"Harry likes being on his own."

"That's right," Florence went on after Naomi, looking at Camila. "Naomi is living at the Crab Inn. At Bessie's."

Camila gasped. "He won't even let her stay at his house?"

Naomi didn't know why the two women were talking about her like she wasn't there. Clearing her throat some, she said, "We don't want to overwhelm each other. We haven't stayed together for more than a few days before."