1.05 Cinnamon's Wake

"Hey, I've got an idea for a new reality show," Lorelai says from her spot at the kitchen table. "How about everyone just looks out their freaking kitchen window for a change?"

Kit sends her a curious look as Rory comes out of her bedroom, the sound of Rancid easily audible before she closes the door again. "Is that my CD?" Kit asks her.

Rory ignores his question as she looks at their mom. "Ooh, she's cranky this morning," she notes, grabbing an apple out of the fruit bowl.

"Let's just say the world has a formidable opponent," Lorelai tells her.

"Wait, shouldn't you be baking?" Rory asks suddenly.

"I don't know. Shouldn't you be knitting?" Lorelai shoots back.

"Actually, I think we're making jam," Kit chimes in. "The knitting comes after."

Rory shoots him a look. "Not funny, Kit." She looks back at Lorelai. "Mom, the Chilton bake sale is today!"

"I know. I've got it covered."

"They expect the things to be homemade."

"I know."

"By someone other than Dolly Madison."

Kit snorts at that one. "Rory, I think we're good." He gives her a knowing look. "Are you forgetting that we happen to know a wonderful chef by the name of Sookie St. James?'

"Ah, see!" Lorelai exclaims as she gestures in his direction. "One of my children understands me!"

Rory just sighs in relief. "Right. Sookie. That's perfect!"

"Alright," Lorelai says as she refills her coffee. "Get your stuff and hit the stereo. We're late."

"That's not me," Rory tells her.

Kit and Lorelai both watch as she crosses over to her room and throws open the door to show a tiny Korean girl dancing her heart out.

Lorelai sighs. "Where does you mom think you are?" she asks over the music.

"Oh," Lane says as she turns it off. "On a park bench contemplating the reunification of the two Koreas."

"Not here, skanking to Rancid?"

"Wouldn't be included."

Kit frowns slightly. "Did you steal my CD or did Rory?" he asks.

Lane stares at him for a few seconds. "I borrowed it," she finally says.

He raises one eyebrow. "Oh, you borrowed it?" he repeats with a smile. They all know he doesn't actually mind.

Lorelai just shakes her head. "School. Now."

Lane looks at Kit as they walk down the porch steps. "So, do you want the CD back or....?"

"I'll burn you a copy," he assures her.

She grins back at him. "You're the best, Kit. Bye, guys," she calls as she takes off running for Stars Hollow High School.

"Bye!" they all call back.

The sound of a cat meowing draws their attention and they all look over to see their neighbors, Babette and Morey, out for a walk and pulling a partially covered wagon behind them. In the wagon lies a plump, ginger cat.

"Wow, Cinnamon, riding in style," Rory comments.

"Yea," Babette says with smile as she grabs her husband's hand. "Morey made it. Cinnamon's not walking good these days," she explains.