Chapter 17

I find myself taking the Tube till the Embankment station. At this off-peak hour, everything seems quieter. Emptier, too, as I take the escalators to the ground level and breathe again London's sun-warmed air. It's a bit wetter as I stroll along the Embankment, where I can leisurely watch the muddy brown flow of the Thames.

I sit on a bench, trying to make sense of the confusion I'm left feeling after my discussion with Elsa. I do adore her, but she didn't succeed in appeasing my fears over this unexpected promotion – if you can call it like this. I don't understand why Liz would accept such a financial disadvantage as far as I'm concerned. For God's sake, last Christmas, she was even talking about taking away the usual end-of-the-year bonus!

I slowly sip my coffee, tossing it in the bin when it's empty. I wriggle my phone out of the front pocket of my jeans. Hopefully Aden will be available to answer my questions. Let's tap out something innocuous to start with.

Hey

The reply comes almost immediately, as if he was somehow expecting my text.

Hey yourself. How are things?

Well, if that isn't an opening...

Pretty good atm. I've been informed I've been released of my morning shift while I keep my usual pay check. It sounds like you're enjoying playing Santa Claus for me...

His text, when it comes, makes me laugh out loud, startling a few seagulls which, disturbed in their quest for food, screech at me reproachfully.

Is that a clue as to my outfit for our next date?

Not in the slightest. I won't enjoy you getting heatstroke in this weather and having to wait for hours at A&E!

Sensible. It'd rather ruin the mood...

I shake my head, smiling down at my phone like a fool. A part of me tempted to carry on with this light and flirtatious banter, but in the end, my determination to get to the heart of what I'm worrying over wins out.

Listen, I was wondering how you managed to convince Liz – the coffee shop's boss – to grant me such a boon. Should I be worried about her weakness for bright young men such as yourself?

There. I want answers without sounding needlessly accusing.

Three dots dance in response almost immediately and relief courses over me.

Hardly, Ethan. You don't need to worry on this account.

In fact, I have something to confess in regard of this day.

I feel my eyebrows shoot up while my heart speeds up.

Yesterday, I was at the coffee shop for business.

I haven't talked yet about my mom, but let's just say she's the breadwinner in my family.

I bite my lip. Yesterday, I was way too knackered to look up for Christiana Zanetti on the Web and see if there was any truth to Ben's statement. I promise myself I'd do it later.

Her company – the company she founded – intends to take over the 'Central Perk'.

I'm staring down at the screen with what I'm sure a dumbfounded expression.

Why would an industrial empire such as Segafredo Zanetti want with our humble coffee shop? It doesn't make sense!

And what about our jobs? I'm not that keen on watching the news – I can't help but feel depressed when it's over – but even I know that an enterprise being taken over usually means job losses. There's a lump in my throat at the idea not only I but also Elsa and all the other staff members could find themselves registering for unemployment benefits in the next weeks.