Chapter Twenty-Nine: Part 2

~~Avery~~

I sighed when I felt someone softly petting my hair. I was in a state of calm and relaxation. It was like I was waking up from a deep sleep. Sounds around me were slightly muffled, but the contentment ended abruptly as shouting began.

"You traitor! I knew we should have never trusted you!" That voice, it was Zero.

Hesitantly I opened my eyes and saw that Zero had lunged towards where I was laying.

"Stop," I demanded my voice sounding quiet from waking up, which caused Zero to freeze and everyone to stare at me.

"Why can we not have one moment where you are not trying to start fights with each other? I mean seriously Zero, you are acting like a child." I paused to see that everyone was gawking at me, "Why are you staring at me like that?"

They stared at me with confusion clearly written on their faces. Ash and Takuma seemed to be contemplating while Zero looked dumbfounded then his face changed showing only anger. I shifted by body so that I was sitting up. Rei, who had been stroking my hair, showed no emotion in his indigo eyes.

'What! Sasori got your tongue? Alright! Don't answer me. I'll just be going back to sleep then." I huffed in frustration.

Zero was quick to respond. His words were tainted with anger, "You're telling us that you're not hurt in the slightest! Have you been lounging around with the enemy the entire time! While we were being held captive by guards....while we thought you in danger!"

Takuma took the chance to interrupt Zero during his rant, "What he is trying to say was, we were worried for your safety and well-being. We had come to the conclusion that our enemies plan had been achieved and that we merely played right into their trap."

"Well as you can see I am perfectly fine and in no danger." I reassured them.

"Avery, Could you please tell us what happened when you were brought in." Ash spoke.

I thought back to the moment the guards had shown up and lead me away from Zero then after that...nothing. Nothing came to mind.

"Well I...I can't seem to remember anything," I turned to Rei, " Why can't I remember anything?"

Rei turned his face away from me. He refused to look at me, but I could see that he was hiding something from me. His eyes showed nothing but guilt.

That's when loud laughter rung throughout the room. Mr. Sakurai was standing there with a sly smirk on his face.

"What's so funny?" I questioned him.

"You my dear. You don't suspect any foul play as to why you can't remember and you most certainly don't suspect Rei." He spoke in return.

"What are you babbling about!" My temper flared. He was just toying with me now.

"Son, can you please contain our pet." He ordered Rei.

"Pet!" Zero and I both exclaimed.

"Avery look at me," Rei commanded in a smooth voice.

In that second everything faded away. It was like his voice was the only thing that mattered at that moment. It was painful to resist, so I did as he said. Once my eyes met his everyone in the room seemed to vanish and instantly I forgot my anger.

"Yes, pet. As you see she has no control of her actions while her master is in the room." The faint voice of Rei's father droned on.

Nothing else mattered at that moment. Not the shouting or the maniacal laughter. My body felt empty. Deep down I knew that this wasn't right and that something was wrong, but right now all that mattered was Rei.

[Edited May 2020]