•》Chapter XV: "Unexpected Delay" - Part1《•

All four of them found refuge in a small house they rented in a distant small town near India’s border.

Ark was sitting quiet on the couch while Zach was standing by the window. They both looked when Claire came out of the room.

“She fell asleep from crying all night.” she told them in a low-sad tone.

Guilt and worries could be seen all over her face.

“This is all my fault.” she said heavily.

Zach walked towards her and held her hand.

“No one wanted this to happen. Don’t blame yourself.” he told her.

“Zach’s right Claire. Things are not always the way we want them to be. It's devastating... but Per must learn to accept it.” Ark said. He was serious but the weight of his words were too obvious.

《••○••••••◇••••••○••》

In the afternoon, Per finally woke up. When she opened her eyes, she quickly noticed Claire on a chair beside her bed looking at her.

Though she's still bound with grief, she forced to lift her body up and slouched for a moment. When she fully got all her senses working, she put down her feet on the floor and sat on the edge of the bed.

Her head was bowed and her eyes were heavily staring down the floor.

“You’re crying in your sleep.” Claire said softly.

“He’s about to be a doctor Claire. He really wanted to be one… Now it’s never going to happen.” she replied with her dry-broken voice.

“If I didn’t try to release my weapon that day, none of it will happen.” Claire said in a upset tone.

She could not help but blame her foolish actions.

“No Claire. His death is my fault. If I didn’t cross the line in the first place. He would still be alive right now. I shouldn’t have asked him to take me out. I was so selfish, I only thought of myself.” she claimed.

Mournful tears began to flew down from her eyes again.

“He’s a very kind man Claire. I saw his care and his affection. I felt it. I know I felt what love is when he looked me in the eyes and told me he likes me... but he’s gone now and he will never come back.”

Per lost her control, she bent her body and lifted her hands. She buried her face with her palms and wept with her wailing voice.

Heavy tears continued to drip down her lap. Claire felt wrecked inside while seeing her in that state for the first time. She sat beside her and embraced her in her arms trying to absorb her sorrows.

“I saw a smile on his face before he closed his eyes.” she whispered softly on her ear.

Behind the door, Ark and Zach were equally struck by distress while listening to her painful cries.

That day, Claire didn’t leave her side.

《••○••••••◇••••••○••》

On the next morning, Per finally went out of her room. Claire, Zach and Ark were at the dining table waiting for her.

Her eyes were still swollen and traces of sadness could still be seen on her face, but she managed to give them a little smile.

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” she told them.

“Take all the time you need.” Ark replied.