After Chapter: Christmas

MinHee and Jackson had arrived to Cora’s party after what felt like a lifetime. MinHee was glad that Jackson had fun with her parents, and that they got along, but currently she and he were not getting along, and it was painful to be sitting quietly since she’d nothing she wanted to say in front of her parents.

Or her brother, who was sitting beside them in the car. She didn’t want to say anything in front of him either.

The car stopped, and the three climbed out, arms full of gifts and MinHee forced a smile as Cora hurried towards her to help out. “Thank you,” She said, as Cora snagged arms full of presents from her.

Cora’s eyebrows rose, but she continued to smile as she said through her teeth “Something’s wrong, right?” MinHee nodded and they continued towards the house. “Alright, the presents for us are going in the den. If you brought anything for anyone else, it goes under the grand tree in the parlor.”

And sure enough, as they entered the house, there was a very grand tree in the parlor. It was covered in glittering white lights, tinsel, and silver ornaments. Underneath the tree were thousands of presents for the exchange later that night, which was going to end up being the end of the party, MinHee was sure.

Cora lead them towards the den, which was separated from the rest of the house by a long hallway and a heavy wooden sliding door. She slid it aside using her heel and walked into the room, where everyone else was already waiting.

Youngjae and Maria were sitting on the edge of the chaise lounger, watching the fire and talking quietly. Yuna and Yugyeom were standing in a corner, hand in hand, also talking quietly. MinHee made a mental note to speak to Yuna. She noticed Bambam and Jr. were pushing wood into the fire, and Reina was watching with a small smirk on her face as Jr. leapt back from the flying embers. Ji-su was looking through Cora’s collection of Christmas music, and Nick was laughing with Mikki, who was twirling her hair around her finger flirtatiously. MinHee knew Cora was probably glaring the two down.

Mark, who was sitting alone on the couch, moved towards them and reached for the presents Cora was holding. “How was dinner?” He asked Jackson, who walked beside him towards the table they were keeping the presents on. Jackson laughed at the thought and began filling Mark in on what had happened.

“I’ll take yours for you,” JB said, taking the presents left from MinHee and smiling. “Try to enjoy yourself, okay? You looked so upset earlier. Just let loose.” She nodded and he walked away.

Cora immediately moved to her side. “Tell me what happened.”

MinHee raised her hands. No one else needed to know what the two were talking about, and MinHee knew Jackson couldn’t speak American Sign Language. She felt pretty smug about the situation. “I’m not entirely sure myself. I wanted to give him his present, so it was personal, just between us, and he totally wanted nothing to do with it. But that’s not what really bothered me.”

“What happened then?”

“When we were at dinner, he pretended I didn’t exist. And every time I said something, he almost treated me like a buzz kill. He would stop smiling, he would stop laughing, and look down or away.” She rolled her eyes. “Somethings up.”

“Maybe this will make you feel better,” She said this before turning towards the group. “You guys want to open your presents now?”

Everyone got at least one thing. T-shirts, bracelets, gift cards, that kind of thing. MinHee had opened all of her presents from the others, but hadn’t found the present from Jackson. She turned towards him. “Uhm,”

He was holding her present in his hands. He looked down at it, his eyebrows pulling together, and turned towards her. “Come with me.” He said, standing from where they were sitting. No one was paying attention to them, they were all busy thanking each other for their gifts, so no one noticed when he grabbed her and tore her off the ground. “I’ve got something I want to show you.” He said, grabbing their jackets and moving towards the door.

MinHee frowned. “No, let’s go back inside and you can open your present in front of the others.” She really wanted someone to catch his reaction on tape.

He shook his head. “No. We’re going.”

Cora had just finished her third cup of cider, since she refused to drink eggnog, and was laughing uncontrollably with the other girls from Passion when she spotted Mark moving out of the den and out into the backyard.

Her eyes narrowed. “I’ll be right back.” She said, standing and moving towards the door he’d just slunk out of. She was silent as she pulled the sliding glass door to the side and closed it behind her. Mark had walked to the side of the balcony and was leaning against it, looking out at the land below.

The house Cora’s mother had decided to throw the party in was built with what looked like the ground floor as the actual second floor. There was an indoor pool house below, and the pool was directly outside of those doors. Beyond it was a town, just down the cliff edge that wasn’t too far from the house. The entire town was light up with brilliant lights.

Cora walked to his side and turned, so her back was against the banister. “What’s wrong?” She asked, and he didn’t answer her. She leapt up, sliding back so she was sitting on the banister, and looked over at him. “Why are you being broody?” She asked, smirking and punching his arm.

He shrugged and turned towards her. “Do you want your present?”

Her eyes narrowed. “I already got your present, remember? The sweater with Fries Before Guys on the front.”

Mark winced and stood up straight. “That… wasn’t my real present. I didn’t want to leave you with nothing in front of the others, so I got you that.” He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a small black velvet box.

The kind one would get from an expensive jewelry store. “This is your real present,” He said, reaching out and taking her hand. He put the box in the center of her palm.

Cora looked down at the box and gulp before slowly reaching forward and popping the top back.