Chapter 1

A/N: This story takes place after Allegiant, but there is no We Can Be Mended, so Four is still alone and hurting for Tris. So, please enjoy!

Chapter 1

Tris:

I wake up in an empty room. I feel cold, and I shiver. I reach towards my waist for my jacket, but it is not there. In confusion, I look around, a good little Dauntless.

Where am I? That thought echoes in my brain, over and over again. I had just died, right? I remember taking my mother's hand. Leaving...Someone behind. That I didn't want to leave. The person's name is at the edge of my mind. Caleb, maybe?

Traitor. That word pops into my head. And another word, Brother.

That did not feel right. I sit there, musing, thinking.

Tobias. I sit upright. Yes, Tobias. I feel his skin on mine, the wonderful pressure of his lips on mine, that make me want to forget, forget-

The door swings open.

A man in a wheelchair moves in. He is smiling nervously. I blink, he looks familiar. Something about the way he talks.

David. He shot me.

I hunch over, gasping silently. Memories gush through me, a never-ending stream of colours, vivid images. I only recall up to the moment I lie down on the bed, in Erudite Headquarters, for a while. And then I gasp again.

I am Divergent. Genetically Pure. Tris Prior.

I die, weakened by the death serum, but I manage- just, I manage- until I am shot. Once, twice...

And I leave the world behind me.

I sit upright again.

"You shot me," I say quietly. David nods, not quite looking at me. "Why are you here?"

"I brought you back. To life. I..I..I'm sorry-"

I cut him off. I do not need to listen to his apologies. But..I died retrieving the serum. If it worked..David shouldn't remember me.

"How did you remember me? The memory serum didn't work?"

He took a breath. "I..I remembered after I," he swallows. "After you?" I press. There is no time for this.

"After I saw a picture of your mom. I found her journal under Caleb's bed the other day, and the memories just..came back."

I nod. Then I realise that David looks older, by many years. And how am I alive again?

"How..how long have I been gone?" I ask. My throat feels tight.

"About three years."

"How am I alive?"

David blinks. "Well, when you were in the Erudite Headquarters, Jeanine scanned your brain and took a DNA sample. I took the brain scan and had one of my trusted technicians and another scientist, the best, take a look and remake the body. Like..Cloning. And we inserted your memories. I wasn't sure it would work, though," he looks at me for a short while. What does he see? I wonder. My mother? Or me, Tris?

I stand. "Can I leave the room?" I ask. David nods, still not quite looking at me.

I leave the room, turning the door knob. I don't know where I'm going, but I know I have to leave this place, this room with my murderer.

Before I step out of the door, I look at David one more time. "Where is Tobias?"

"He went back to New Chicago. Here." He hands me a piece of paper. It says, "Prior Street, house 32b." I blink. Prior street?

I catch the nearest bus back to Nw Chicago. I still remember the compound. I happened to be in one of the holding cells, which makes me think that this probably wasn't allowed, illegal. But I don't find myself caring. I feel a few people's gazes burning into me. The man who sits next to me smiles and says, "Do you know that you look a lot like Tris Prior?" I blink. They know how I look?

I quickly nod, but keep quiet. I bend forward and pick up the flyer hanging on the compartment at the foot of the chair in front of me. I pick it up and read, if only to escape from the others' curious glances at me. I blink yet again.

The title says, "VISIT TRIS PRIOR'S OLD HOUSE NOW!"

I scan the content under it. I was some sort of hero in New Chicago. And my old Abnegation house got turned into a musuem. What was this?

I reach Prior Street after a long, refreshing run. I walk down the street. 30a, 31a, 32a...I turn to face the other side of the street. There. 32b.

How would Tobias greet me? Would he stand there in shock? Or would he press a kiss to my mouth? How would he look like at the age of 21? I was still sixteen...

I gathered up my courage and knocked the door.

It swung open.