five

"i can't believe he agreed to let us go on a mini vacation." seulgi gushes, "though it does suck that we have to have taecyeon follow us... but besides that, joohyun unnie agreed to make me a new wardrobe, with sundresses and a swimsuit since we're going to the beach." she rambles on as jaebeom tucks her into bed. "i'm so excited to get to spend time with you outside of the castle... have you ever been to a beach?"

"when i was human, yes."

"what's it like?"

"sand, the hot sun, cool waves... it's a relaxing combination... not sure how the expectations will live up now that we're vampires."

"it's something new, so i'm sure i'll enjoy it!" seulgi comments, "the town we're going to... there's not a lot of people right?"

"it's kind of small... and usually they get busy during a different part of the year, so we should be fine... or well, i should be fine." jaebeom laughs, "plus... it'll be right after a pillage, so i'll be pretty full."

"i can't wait!" seulgi sighs, getting comfortable as jaebeom climbs in bed with her, a book in his hand to read. "when do you leave for the next pillage?"

"tomorrow afternoon."

"so soon? how long will you be gone?"

"five days."

"you'll be missed." she pouts, before he leans down to press a kiss against her lips. "lately, i feel like we spend more time apart than together."

"which is why we need this trip... to rekindle our love."

"do you feel like it needs to be rekindled? falling out of love with me already?"

"you know what i mean." he laughs, "i need time with you and only you."

"and taec..."

"i talked to him, and he's escorting us there and staying away... i told him that he doesn't want to be around us 24/7... plus, i don't need him to know how we act in bed together. the last thing we want is for him to hear you screaming in pleasure, but think you're being attacked."

"i don't scream that loud." seulgi complains, hitting jaebeom's shoulder playfully, "but, you're right. i don't want taec oppa chaperoning us that closely." she giggles, "so... what book are we reading tonight?"

this has become their routine, lying in bed and reading for a few hours, before shutting their eyes and getting some sleep. the next morning, they get up and prepare a few more things for their upcoming vacation before it's time for jaebeom to leave with the troops and prepare for another destruction of a neighboring village. seulgi sends him off with a kiss, and watches as he disappears into the forest along with others. seungwan is with her, and once jaebeom's out of view, pulls her inside to do some fittings for her new dresses.

around the third or so day into jaebeom's departure, seulgi's asked to come to the dining hall. she's usually not invited to sit in during the king's meals, so she immediately starts to worry. when she gets there, she bows to her creator, kissing his rings. "have a seat, are you hungry?" the king questions, gesturing to a chair to his left.

"no, i had a snack earlier, i'm still full from it."

"you should probably eat something before your trip."

"i will... jaebeom promised to bring me back something."

"how chivalrous." the vampire king states, rolling his eyes, "this thing between you and jaebeom... what is it?"