Ch. 2

It's been a week since Brent confronted me over my engagement ring and I still haven't spoken to him. It's like all those years ago when Clay kept that secret about my dad from me. Clay hasn't said anything so I knew that Brent hasn't said anything to him about it.

I only had two classes today so after, I stopped by the store to grab a few things for supper. I wasn't sure what everyone wanted so I picked up things for chicken enchiladas and Shepard's pie. When I was heading towards the checkouts, I saw Henry, a man that was in a class with me. He noticed me and started walking towards me.

"Hey Claire," he smiled.

"Hi Henry."

"What are you fixing good tonight?"

"I don't know yet. Either enchiladas or Shepard's pie, " I answered.

"That sounds good."

"Yeah," I smiled. "I guess it depends on what my fiancé is in the mood for," I said and I noticed his face fall for just a second.

"You... uh... you're engaged?"

"Umm... yeah, I have been for five years," I stated.

"I just, I mean, I've never seen a ring on your finger," he said.

"Oh yeah, I put some weight on and it got tight so I'm having it sized," I said, the lie feeling more like the truth the more I say it.

"Oh," he said, a hint of doubt in his tone, "So, how did you do on midterms?"

"I passed. How about you?"

"I did okay."

"Good," I smiled. "Well, I've got to go. I'll see you in class," and I walked away.

After that encounter, I thought maybe I should put my ring back on. Even though I always said I was engaged, most of the time, I didn't feel like I was. I just wish Clay would admit that he needed help with what he was going through.

It was right at six thirty when I finally got supper finished. The kids decided they wanted enchiladas and Clay told me to fix whatever they wanted. As I pulled the enchiladas out of the oven, my phone started ringing. I looked at the screen and saw that Lacey was calling me.

"Hey Lace, what's up?" and I was immediately greeted by a deafening scream. I held the phone away from my ear until she was finished screaming. "Okay," I said, laughing.

"Claire! Oh my gosh! Claire... Zan.... Zan.... Zander just asked me to marry him!"

I felt my heart drop to my stomach. I was ho early happy for her. Zander has been such a fantastic person in her life and I knew that they would wait until they graduated college before they got married but it hurt because I was still engaged and wedding plans weren't moving forward.

"Congratulations Lacey," I said, trying to hide the hurt in my voice.

"Thanks! I need to call mom."

"You haven't told mom?" I questioned.

"No. I haven't told Cassie either. Oh my gosh! I've got to call Cassie. Bye," she said and disconnected the call.

I was laughing as I hung up the phone. I called for the kids to come and eat and went to check on Clay in the garage. His car needed new brakes so he has been working on that with Brent today. I opened the side door quietly.

"I don't know, man," Clay said.

"Well, you either love her or you don't," Brent replied.

"Of course I love her. With ever ounce of my being."