Chapter 2: The Hunted

As I charged southwest through the forests and crossed the state line well into Tennessee, I cleared my head of my thoughts. Absentmindedly, I used my preternatural sense of smell to catch the scent of animals nearby, but nothing at the moment claimed my hunger as the thirst started to burn in my throat.

Two years. Over two years of training myself into the Cullen's way of life, in being a unique coven—a family. Vampires so rarely valued human life the way our family did. We learned to control our thirst for human blood, which was the means of our very existence. We were united in our wish to avoid taking human lives to satiate our thirst. We learned to control the natural thirst for human blood, and instead drank the blood of animals. We hunted wildlife every so often, concentrating on certain areas of overpopulation, careful not to disturb ecological systems and territories. We were unique from most other vampires. Our compassion for people, coupled with the absence of their blood in our system, left us capable of loving one another as a family, rather than existing in a fiery rage of bloodlust and not caring about its effects on others. We were able to stand as one large united coven together.

Two years and a million more to go, I thought to myself.

Don't get me wrong. I loved my adoptive parents, and although I resented that I was stuck in this frozen state of a viral infection of burning thirst for all of eternity, I was grateful to Carlisle for saving me. I was determined to live my life as a vampire as well as Carlisle did with his admirable compassion for human life, and Esme with her passionate love for her husband and her now two adopted children, Edward and me. I undoubtedly was sure I could live it better than my "brother," with his tortured-soul-like thoughts of isolation and boring way of living this life. He lived it just to exist, going through the motions of living in the human façade, but not actually living. I didn't want that for myself.

I would hunt when I needed to, doing it neatly and discretely as vampire law required. I get up every day to go to school, put on my best face, and study new things. I practiced the piano, and had recently taken up a new hobby: learning the mechanics of automobiles. I discovered quickly that this would become my new favorite hobby. The evenings were dedicated to hobbies and the arts. I wanted to study ballroom dance lessons—waltz, foxtrot, and the latest—swing. I had plans to go to college next year and study fashion merchandising with a minor in music. I knew that I would have to repeat high school and college for many years to come, so I put forth the first courses I really wanted out of the way. It would be my first time attending college and I wanted to enjoy it. Later I could study other interests: psychology, art history, English, and dance.

I knew I had no true motivating reason to live, but I was okay with that. Unlike Esme and Carlisle, I was alone. I was unsure that I would ever find that kind of companionship and was convinced it would never happen for me. I had no inspiration but my determination to carry me through my days. There was nothing I couldn't do, and I was steadfast that, even though I resented this life, I was going to live it and live it well.

There was, however, the disturbing truth behind Carlisle's intention for me and his family. Although I was sure it was out of love for his son and the kindness of his huge heart that he wanted Edward to be happy, it was rather ridiculous and uncomfortable that he had chosen me for Edward.

****

It was just last week when Edward and I were practically forced to play chess by our parents, and Edward decided to argue my last move. We sat at the dining room table as Esme and Carlisle were sitting side-by-side in the living room, each reading different sections of the paper. I was irritated at how Edward could read my mind, and I felt like he was cheating with his ability. We were bickering throughout the game.