Chapter 28: Demolition

"Werewolves," Carlisle echoed in bewilderment, his eyes turned to Edward and then back to the approaching animals. "How do you know?"

"I hear them," Edward replied in a tense whisper. "They have thoughts. Full, coherent, human thoughts."

It was completely unexpected, these strange creatures approaching us without fear. But even more unexpected was my unexplainable hatred for them. I was completely flooded with loathing and abhorrence.

They drew near in a V-shaped formation, the head of the V the farthest away from us—a reddish-brown wolf, taller and larger than the others in musculature.

0pt;">In the quick moments of their approach, we were able to make a quick exchange between one another.

Their foul stench continued to burn my fine nose hairs. "God, they reek," I complained.

Emmett rubbed his hands together in anticipation. "They'd make one hell of a meal."

"But they stink," I argued, wrinkling my nose.

Edward's eyes tightened with suspicion. "Their scent makes sense. They shouldn't be appealing to us," he whispered.

"Werewolves?" Carlisle mused, still mystified. "In Washington?"

"Our natural enemies," Edward confirmed under his breath. "And they don't plan to let us live."

I heard a neck crack and turned to see my husband rolling his head on his shoulders. "Really?" Emmett scoffed before he snarled threateningly at the two wolves. "Kill us?" he mocked. "Stinky mutts. They can try. I'll totally take them all."

With that statement, the wolf closest to us lurched at him, snapping his jaws at my husband.

And the dancing began as quick as lightening between them both, Emmett hovering in front of me in a protective manner. I snarled and slapped my teeth in defense as well, but I wasn't as engaged. I wasn't about to ruin my hair or my clothes if Edward and Emmett could take them.

Carlisle tried to placed himself between them. "This stops now!" he demanded.

Their noses were mere inches from each other as they continued to dance around one another, dodging each other's teeth. Both creatures glowering at each other with equally razor sharp teeth. I suddenly became territorial, lunging forward, past Carlisle to snarl beside Emmett.

"Stop!" Carlisle placed himself between Emmett and the animals, his hand restraining me from getting any further past him. "There will be no killing of any kind today," he commanded, yet his voice was soothing.

The wolf closest to us on our left—the one with chocolate fur—snarled at us just as ferociously, but didn't move from their formation.

I hissed back at him, my body at full crouch, knowing that while Emmett could probably handle the grey one himself, he would need help if a second one jumped in.

But as this chocolate-furred wolf's brown eyes caught mine, it seemed his brows lifted in wonder, his head cocking to the side. The expression was mirrored almost immediately by the rest of the pack—by all but the one that was snapping his large incisors at my husband.

Emmett snapped his teeth back in response, growling, his lips curled behind them, exposing their pristine, white sharpness in full attack mode. "C'mon, Fido, show me what you got," he egged on in his booming tone, prancing in a circle with his fists in front of him like it was a boxing match.

Carlisle placed his hand on Emmett's chest again, planting his feet firmly on the ground between his son and the wolf.

A snarl rose from the largest wolf and seemed to travel through each animal until it reached the wolf closest to us. When it reached the grey wolf, he abruptly backed away from Emmett.