Chapter 11: The Uninvited

It had been a month since my first hunt alone with Emmett. I had since grown accustom to his constant indifference, and no longer did I try to get him to pay heed to me. He will notice me in time as sure as Esme said he would. I was positive that if I stood by him and everything he went through, he would some day appreciate all of my efforts. I tried my best not to take any fit personally, but my challenge with Emmett was my sensitivity to everything he did. When it came to him, my feelings were a fragile mess.

In the past two weeks there had been reports of human deaths caused by large animals in the paper—but the markings were very characteristically vampire killings. It had crossed Carlisle and Edward's mind that it could have been Emmett, but the probability was low since he was constantly monitored by one of us at all times. He had no chance to escape and kill on his own.

Today we were in Washington D.C., only a mere couple of hours drive away from Appalachia. Carlisle and Esme wanted to take me shopping at Woodward and Lorthrop for a new dress, as they'd be shopping for their own outfits for a special occasion. Being such a revered doctor, Carlisle had quite a large amity with the local people and often received invitations to many social events and lavish parties. He and Esme decided to take me along this time to a local formal dance held annually by one of the town's wealthier families— the Appalachia Winter Formal.

We spent most of the car ride discussing the possibilities of the recent murders, effectively avoiding the subject of their reason to ask me to come along on this trip and to the party. I knew before they could even tell me; they wanted me give me something to preoccupy my thoughts with. Although I grew to be at peace with Emmett's indifference and was no longer angry, I was still in a constant state of melancholy. My parents' concern was always out of love, but also very transparent to me, though I never made them aware that I knew of their generous motives.

I smiled as I stepped into Woodies, as it reeked of expensive designer perfume. It was crowded with customers being that it was the weekend. I rode the escalator to the women's department on the second floor. I ran my hand through the dresses along the racks, feeling the fabrics. A plethora of formal garments were displayed, hanging gracefully from hangers, calling at me for my purchasing pleasure. Shopping was exhilarating to me, and fashion was my best friend. The scent of silk, organza, charmeuse, and satin brightened my spirits immediately.

I began to make some choices from the racks: different gowns and lovely dresses by luxury designers from all over the world. My body was suitable for anything, and I was simply able to fit in things directly off the rack, no alterations needed. After trying on a few dresses that didn't fit the right look I was searching for, I stood perusing the dresses in another section of the store.

"Find anything you like?" I heard a familiar deep voice ask me from behind.

"Yes, everything," I answered, turning to Carlisle with a small grin, "but I'm having difficulty finding the one that I absolutely love."

Carlisle returned my grin, smiling warmly as he stood there with a new suit in hand. "How interesting, your word choice at this moment, dear Rosalie."

I sighed. "Is this the time for your talk about love now, too, Carlisle?" I teased him, arching my perfect brow.

He chuckled switching the new suit he carried folded over one arm to the other.

I had to ask to see what he had on his arm. I was always excited to see new merchandise within the family, dressing them up mentally like living dolls. Early on in my human life when I would see Dr. Cullen—as I knew him back in Rochester— and his family, I was irritated with them because they were much more beautiful than I could ever be. I laugh at that now, and these days I actually carry a devotion to the beauty that my new family possessed. Dressing up with them and prancing around caused quite the spectacle, and I absolutely drowned in the pleasure and power of our family's aesthetic qualities.