Chapter 29

The days and the semesters flew by. Mi-ha graduated during the fall semester. They all went out to celebrate her graduation, Ji-han included. As they have advised, Mi-ha applied for and got a job as research assistant in the university. And so, they still got to see each other from time to time, eat lunch or dinner together.

Jenny has passed all her courses with flying colors. At the same time, she worked hard to finish her data gathering and data analysis for her thesis.

It was her last semester in the university. She has passed both her oral and written comprehensive examinations. The next thing to prepare for is her thesis defense. She has to prepare hard for this. She doesn't want to embarrass Professor Park, even if she's no longer her major adviser.

Ji-han has become busier with a lot of projects coming his way. There are still a lot of women trying to jump into bed with him. But he has that strong will to turn away from temptations. He would hate to lose Jenny. He even hates it when he had to leave again for several weeks. When he does, he calls Jenny every night, making sure that she's already inside the dormitory by eight in the evening. The awards season is coming up. People say he has a good chance at bagging another best actor award.

That Friday, he was taping several action scenes. One scene required him to leap from a bridge using a harness onto the roof of a running ten-wheeler truck and it took several takes. He was dead tired, but he wanted to finish them all so that he could go home and rest for the weekend, get a chance to visit Jenny.

His phone rang. It was his mother, asking him if he will be coming by during the weekend. They have gotten used to having him and Jenny coming over the weekend. He said he'll see if they will be able to visit.

The scenes were finished during the early evening. No chance of visiting his Jenny anymore. By the time he reaches Seoul, it would be late at night already. He decided to go directly to his condominium to get some rest.

Several reporters were waiting for him again and some even tried to block his car. His driver made a strategic maneuver so they were able to avoid them.

Ji-han hurriedly left the car once they were able to park at the basement of the building. He rushed to the elevator and went up to his unit. He got a pleasant surprise when he saw Jenny sitting on the floor in front of his unit.

"What are you doing there?" Ji-han asked.

"Waiting for you," Jenny smiled at him.

"Why didn't you go inside? The staff knows who you are," Ji-han said. Jenny replied that she did not want to invade his private space. Besides, she said she quite enjoyed sitting there and doing practically nothing but rest her body and mind.

Ji-han opened the door and led Jenny inside. He could see that she's bothered by something.

"I'll stay here on the couch, you go and change first," Jenny said.

Ji-han went to get a quick shower and change his clothes. He sat on the couch beside Jenny, planting a soft kiss on her forehead. In fact, he felt like he should be awarded with a master's degree in forehead kissing and a doctorate degree in self-restraint. He promised Jenny he will wait for the right time and he will follow through that promise.

He cupped Jenny's chin so that he could look at her face closely. He really loved that sweet smell of hers, it makes his head spin with his desire for her. But he has to take control of those feelings. He doesn't want to lose her.

Ji-han asked what seems to be the problem. Jenny replied that she's just getting tense about the forthcoming thesis defense. Ji-han reassured her that she's going to do just fine and would make them all proud. He asked her if she had dinner and when she said she hasn't, he called on a food delivery service so they could eat together.

"Ji-han, you know what it means when I get my degree from the university, right?" Jenny asked.

"Yes, you need to go back to your country and pay back two years of service to your university," Ji-han replied.

Jenny lowered her face so that Ji-han will not see her trying to control her tears. She will be leaving him behind and as they say, out of sight, out of mind. Ji-han cupped her face.

But then, it was her decision to pay back the two years service, right?

"I know what you're thinking. We've come this far just to waste everything. I've waited for you for so many years, I can wait for two more. You don't want me paying back the scholarship grant given to you so you could stay here with me. I respect that. Just understand this, I love you and I will never do anything to hurt you," Ji-han reassured her.

Jenny passed her thesis defense successfully. Before her graduation, she accompanied Ji-han to the awards night. Ji-han took her shopping for the right dress and shoes. The simple, black shimmering dress was accentuated by the silver, high-heeled shoes. Her make-up and hair further accentuated her unique Filipina beauty.

When Ji-han saw her coming out of the room, he felt like crying. There's his Genevieve, his lovely soon-to-be-wife.

With their hands clasped, they rode the car in silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

When the car arrived at the hotel where the event was taking place, Jenny had to shield her eyes from the glare of the camera flashes. She could hear questions being thrown at Ji-han. Ji-han answered some of them, all the while holding her hand tight. She tried to smile but she felt like her lips were frozen.

They went inside the venue. Ji-han seated her next to him. The lady to her right side happened to be Ji-han's other leading lady who can speak English well. She said she has visited the Philippines before and enjoyed Boracay, the famous beach, very much. The people are very kind and always smiling, she said. Jenny smiled and tried to make some small talk.

The category they have all been waiting for came. Ji-han won the best actor award, besting six other candidates. The claps in the auditorium were deafening. Ji-han stood up and waved to everyone in the hall. He squeezed her hand lovingly, reassuring her once again that everything will be all right. He then walked to the stage, all the while showing to the whole of South Korea how elegant and handsome he was.

On the podium, Ji-han gave his acceptance speech, thanking everyone for their support. Jenny sat still on her chair, clasping her hands and looking lovingly at him. Who knew that this was what awaited her in Seoul when she stepped out of the airport's arrival area?

Ji-han thanked everyone who helped him, in one way or another, to be able to get the award. He paused, saying he wants to make an announcement. Everyone kept quiet.

He narrated how in the past  year, people had been speculating about that special woman in his life. He waved his hand towards Jenny, smiling at her lovingly. He said it is the right time for the world to know about that special woman. He introduced Jenny to the crowd, saying "my soon-to-be-wife, Ms. Genevieve Ramos."

Jenny didn't know how to react. The spotlight focused on her. People started talking and clapping loudly. The people on the table with her were congratulating her, saying she's very lucky. She kept her smile glued to her face, not wanting to say anything or she might burst crying. She knew Ji-han was proud of her, of what she is, but she didn't know that he was this proud! For him to announce this to the whole world, he didn't even think that move may jeopardize his career. Fans love actors who are unattached because they can still fantasize about them. At thirty-three years old, Ji-han can still go a long way in the business.

During the ride back to the condominium, Jenny asked why Ji-han had to say that. He looked at her with that mischievous smile of his. He said he had to do that so the whole world will know that she's taken. So that when she goes back to the Philippines to pay the two-year service she owes the university, nobody will dare court her.

Jenny smiled. This husband-to-be of hers is quite cunning, like his mother.

They turned on the TV while having coffee. The news channels were all full of happenings about that awards night. There was a video of Ji-han accepting his award, and making that announcement. There was a picture of the two of them, with her looking at Ji-han and smiling at him. The news dubbed it as a "mysterious, Mona Lisa-like smile." She giggled at the thought of her sister coming across that tidbit. She would surely burst out laughing when she sees that.