Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

True or Trap

“How’s my phone going?” Ismail asked. It was already 11:56 in the evening and he was still hanging in Nicholas “The Gadget Kid” Marvel’s house. Nicholas’s house was located at the end of the street of the lower part of Mapleton like it was the boundary of the county and it was quite far from the school that was why Ismail had no clue that something chaotic was already happening in the upper grounds. He and Nicholas were in his basement: it was like Nicholas’s office because tons of techy stuffs and other geeky things like action figure collectibles, Star Wars comics, Spacevaders movies and everything were here. Ismail was fascinated and impressed with all these stuffs.

“You asked me that 6 times,” Nicholas responded as he was screwing some tiny screws on the PVC board. He was wearing this huge goggles with magnifying lens attached on it.

“Because I freaking need my phone!” Ismail hollered.

Nicholas stopped and turned to Ismail with the help of his spinning chair. He looked tired and defeated. “I’m really sorry. But I’m almost there. I just don’t like to be hollered at.”

Ismail listened to Nicholas’s beg. He sounded so pitiful. “Sorry, too. I didn’t mean to.”

Nicholas let out a tiny smile and spun back to his work. He shined the light and stoop low on what he was working on.

“Your mom is so nice, you know?” Ismail restarted the conversation. “Thanks for her cooking.” Couple of hours ago, Nicholas’s mom cooked for dinner. She called it “chicken cordon bleu” and Ismail felt like it was heaven when he chewed that chicken piece. The juice of it made him close his eyes. It was like his 10 seconds of chewing were truly spent.

“She loved having guest around especially me bringing friends,” Nicholas said. “She said that you have a very nice hair. I know it’s awkward but she said that you’re handsome.”  

Ismail blushed a little. “Don’t mention it. It’s a small thing.”

Nicholas giggled. Then, he spun again. “It’s done! Lemme just insert the memory card. Here you go!”

Ismail had a very delighting face upon seeing his phone. “Holy shit! Thanks, man!” He explored it like it was brand new. “God! I have plenty of texts. My girlfriend will be so mad at me.”

“I already installed and updated some new apps,” Nicholas added, “you might wanna try it.”

“Sure will!” he still glued on his phone. Then, he slowly lifted his head and look at Nicholas. “I know it’s kinda late but I have one last thing to ask.”

“I’m cool. Spill.”

“Well, uhh…” Ismail was thinking on how to ask about hacking the E messages but it was too risky for him to get this kid involve but he has to to stop E once and for all.

“If it’s about gadget, I could surely do it,” Nicholas said.

“Do you know how to hack a system or something?” Ismail spilled it without further ado.

“Of course,” Nicholas said arrogantly, “piece of cake!”

“No kidding?”

“Do you think I would call myself ‘the Gadget Kid’ if I don’t know how to do that?” Nicholas rhetorically asked.

Ismail made a “make sense” expression.

“What is it you want me to hack?”

“Actually, it’s about tracing someone,” Ismail said.