one.

"if i could begin to be half of what you think of me"
...

love - (noun) an intense feeling of deep affection

"i love you, yamaguchi"
...

it began back in elementary school, the last place you'd think to find your soulmate.

the boy had been walking alone as he always did, his glasses resting on his face and his headphones around his neck. tsukishima was tall for his age, meaning he towered over most of his peers. he  hardly smiled, making him appear quite unfriendly and intimidating to most of the other kids he went to school with.

that being said, he didn't have many friends because of it. not that he cared, being close to people was never important to him.

that was, until he yamaguchi.

yamaguchi was almost his opposite. though he wasn't much shorter than him, the dark-haired boy was scrawny, freckles and acne adorned his pale face. his hair was also a bit longer than tsukishimas, with one signature stray piece sticking out from the top of his head.

'cute' was the first word tsukishima used to describe him.

much like him, yamaguchi had no friends. however, it was for a different reason. the boy was constantly bullied and never stuck up for himself. he had no one, school was an absolute hell hole.

that was, until the two met, and everything changed.

yamaguchi had been on the ground, tears pooled in his eyes as three boys towered over him, taunting him and threatening to hurt the smaller boy.

tsukishima just happened to have been walking by and passed the group, taking note of the boy crying on the floor.

"you know, that's really lame" the blonde spoke with a sarcastic laugh, causing all four boys to turn in shock.

"huh?! what did you say?" one boy had said, but at the point the rest had just accepted defeat. in their eyes, if they didn't look 'cool' then what was that point. being lame wasnt worth it.

the group left shortly after, causing yamaguchi to be left alone crying on the ground. he eventually stood up off the floor, never looking away from the taller boy.

"t-thank you" he spoke softly, though he wasn't sure he would get a response.

tsukishima rolled his eyes and continued to walk away from the smaller boy without a word, until he noticed he was trailing behind.

"do you need something?" tsukishima had asked him. he didn't intend to come off as rude, but even as a child his words came off as harsh.

"my name is tadashi yamaguchi" was all the boy said in return, preparing to walk away.

"kei tsukishima." tsukki suddenly stopped walking as he spoke. he then sighed before he let the next words come out of his mouth.

"let's go yamaguchi, we're going to be late for class if you keep walking so slow." he told the younger, waiting for him to catch up.

yamaguchi smiled without another word and followed the boy close behind, a small blush spreading across his face.

that was the day they both made their first friend.

that was the day tsukishima met his soulmate.

———

a/n : hi guys !! i just want to say thank you SO MUCH for the love this story has gotten already! you guys have already given me so much love and i've barely done anything, i don't deserve you all 🥺

i hope you enjoyed the first chapter, i'm sorry if it was disappointing at all :( but i promise it does get more entertaining, this is only the beginning !! chapters will most likely be longer in the future. love you all lots, you mean the world to me !!

edit: I REWROTE THIS ITS SM BETTER SKDDIOE