6. Fortunate Accident

On the morning of the second day, I woke up late relative to how early I fell asleep. It was a little before 9. The others were in their beds, all seemingly still asleep. Deciding this was a good time, I grabbed some day clothes and quickly went to change in the bathroom that each room had. Nobody was awake when I finished, though, so I just took out my phone and went to look through social media.

Then I saw that I had no reception. Well, it wasn't surprising - we were all the way out in the middle of nowhere. Sighing, I checked if there were any Wi-Fi networks, and it seemed like the camp had a public one. Though it probably wasn't the fastest, it would work. I connected and resumed scrolling through social media. As usual, nothing was interesting; someone semi-significant was getting cancelled over on Twitter again while the connection was too bad to effectively scroll Reddit. Instagram was mostly full of people from school or celebrities who posted mostly the same things, so there wasn't anything new there.

Soon, I saw movement on the other side of the room. The other boys must be waking up.

"Anyone else awake?" I heard Bad call, quietly.

"Me," I croaked back, hoarsely. I cleared my throat. "How'd you sleep?"

"It was... okay, I guess," he admitted. "Nothing too special."

"That's how I feel about it too." I sat up straighter, stretching out my arms. I checked my phone clock. "We should wake the other guys up. It's like 9:25."

"I'll do mine." I heard shuffling and saw Bad get out to go wake up his group mates on the bunk farthest from mine. I also got up, deciding to wake up Clay first. I stepped over to his bunk and climbed halfway up the ladder.

I looked down at his serene, sleeping face. His messy, dirty blonde hair fell on his face perfectly. I gave him a light poke in the shoulder. Immediately, he gasped loudly and his eyes snapped open.

"George! Wh-" he sputtered, recoiling.

"Payback," I smiled. "It's almost 9:30, you need to get your fat ass up."

"Did you have to be in my face to tell me that?" He was obviously surprised.

"Nah, but it's funny." With that, I hopped off the ladder and went over to shake Nick awake.

I didn't want to fully wrap my arms around him and shake him, so I settled for just shoving him from the side. He groaned as I jumped off the steps.

"What do you want?" he scoffed, turning over.

I giggled. "Wake up, it's 9:30."

"Fine," he sighed, haphazardly stumbling down the ladder. They all took turns changing in the bathroom before finally, everyone was ready to go.

We arrived to the central hall a couple of minutes late, but there were only just people getting food from the buffet. It really felt like a hotel breakfast, with the dishes including scrambled eggs, bacon, premade waffles, biscuits (actual bread biscuits, not cookies), along with condiments to go along with these like syrup and jam.

I grabbed a little of everything I liked and rerturned to the table we sat at yesterday. Clay, Nick, Bad, and Bad's trio followed suit. We talked and laughed and soon, everyone's plate was cleared. As usual, Mrs. O'Perra stood at the front to make an announcement.

"Hello everyone! This morning, we will be pitching tents. Please follow your group leader to your designated area of the campsite once everyone's finished eating."

"Bitch, your fat ass took this long to eat, everyone else is done," I muttered, earning a few laughs from Clay. 

After a few minutes of waiting, Mrs. Blaire stood up, looking at her phone. "My group, please follow me. Our instructor is ready." She made her way out the door followed by my trio and a few others. We walked for a while in the morning air before arriving in a small clearing with several bags strewn about. To our left stood a youger man in cargo shorts and a t-shirt. He looked to be around 20.