Chapter 3: Lace Goes Home - pt. 4

Many hours later, in the warm mist of morning, Lace woke alone. It didn't faze her, it was not the first time she'd risen to an empty bed, or left one behind as she slipped away before dawn. As dreamy haze drifted from her mind, she sharpened on the task that had drawn her back to the Hub.

Step one, Ditch The Clunker: done. Now what?

Lace mussed up her hair and let herself fall back on to the mattress that smelled heavily of Rizma. She took a deep breath and calmed. Ultimately, she had to get to the dwarf planet that resided between the Hub and the home planet of the Fortans, and connect with Bankks. The only possible way to get there would be to catch a line from Fortas, as there was no way transport went directly from the dingy Hub to the pristine headquarters of the Interstellar Alliance of Civilizations.

Then, softly above the lovely perfume of her companion, came another sweet scent. It roused Lace to the small pads of her feet, and led her to the kitchen. There was Rizma, in scanty nightwear, cooking on the stove. Lace recognized the smell instantly, and called out.

"I didn't realize I slept with an angel last night." The human waltzed to the half-breed and wrapped her arms around the other woman's bare lavender waist, and gazed from her side at what she was making, smiling. "Pancakes."

Rizma welcomed the smooth touch and grinned to herself. "Earthan style. Just the way you like them."

Lace rested her head on the crook of Rizma's shoulder. "What brought this on?" The red haired woman felt heat swirling inside her as Lace's murmur breezed against her ear. "Was I really that fantastic?"

Unexpectedly embarrassed, Rizma elbowed Lace away, missing her smirk. "Shut up." The pancakes goldened to a perfect finish, and the cook switched off the stove. "I just missed making human food."

Lace searched for water in the fridge and asked absentmindedly. "Why don't you just make it for yourself?" As her eyes discovered all the heavy-metal rich food and liquids, she sighed. "Right, Phocorian digestive system." She peeked over at her lover. "Your dad was Earth-line, wasn't he?"

Rizma found a plate and transferred her dish onto it. "As human as they come."

Lace sat down with her drink. "Too bad I never had the chance to meet him."

"He wouldn't have liked you."

Lace's jaw hung open. "Harsh!"

Rizma smiled, and served her guest her favorite meal. "Not harsh, just honest."

The human's eyes flickered between her food and the woman beside her. "You're sending me so many mixed signals right now."

"Good. You're getting a taste of your own medicine."

Lace's intense brown eyes locked with Rizma's turquoise irises. "Maybe I could get a taste of something else." The half-breed frowned, forcing a grin away, and Lace smiled. "What? I meant pancakes." She then lowered her voice, as Rizma swiftly turned her head away. "What were you thinking of?"

Rizma shook her head and muttered to herself. "Incorrigible." Out of the corner of her eye, she watched Lace joyfully devouring what she had made, and the flutter of her heart quickened.

A moment later, Lace paused, struck by something. "Hey, is there still transport going from the south gate to sector one?"

Rizma looked back. "There should be, why?"

"I've just got to go somewhere." The human shrugged off the question, and Rizma quivered at the block, answering quietly.

"Okay."