Chapter One

"Hold on Blazekit!" Lionkit called out to me.

I had the mouse in my jaws and I kept zigzagging through the nursery. Lionkit and Hollykit, my siblings, were chasing me for the newly caught mouse. Jaykit, my older brother, was asleep before Lionkit called my name.

Hollykit ran into Jaykit. With a flurry of nlack and gray fur, the both of them landed with a thud.

"Ow!" Jaykit hissed.

"You finally woke up! We all woke up early so we started to play with the mouse Brambleclaw brought in!" Hollykit exclaimed.

Hollykit gained up on me and grabbed the mouse.

"Hey!" I squeaked.

"Catch this Jaykit!" Hollykit yowled.

Jaykit missed the mouse by a whisker when he tried to catch it. Lionkit ran towards the mouse and pounced on it.

"I got it!" Lionkit called.

Jaykit leaped at Lionkit, but Lionkit step-sided and Jaykit missed. Jaykit landed on two scrapes of white and ginger fur.

"Did I hurt them?" Jaykit asked guiltily to Ferncloud.

Ferncloud wrapped her tail around her small kits.

"No you haven't hurt them!" Ferncloud snapped angrily, "You three have to start playing outside. It's starting to get crowded in here."

"Sorry," Hollykit, Lionkit, Jaykit, and I mumbled.

Ferncloud was like our foster mother. She gave us milk when Squirrelflight's milk didn't come. Ferncloud won't be mad for long!

"Come on Blazekit and Jaykit! And bring the mouse!" Hollykit called when she and Lionkit were about to get out of the nursery.

"I'll get the mouse!" I squeaked to my brother.

"I'll see you out there!" Jaykit scrambled out of the nursery.

I grabbed the mouse from the nest where me and my sliblings slept in and trotted outside. The air smelt crisp and cool.

I passed by Firestar who was sharing tongues with Sandstorm and Dustpelt sat beside them.

"We should expand the Warriors' den. It's already crowded," Dustpelt explained.

Brightheart and Cloudtail were grooming each other in the bright sunlight.

"How are you Blazekit?" Brightheart stopped washing.

"Great!" I said, my new muffled because of the mouse.

I trotted towards Hollykit, Lionkit, and Jaykit. I threw the mouse towards Hollykit. She didn't catch it but Squirrelflight caught it.

"You shouldn't be playing with your food," She stopped pressing leaves against the nursery.

"Let them be kits. It won't be long until they are apprentices," Daisy purred as she remembered Hazelpaw, Mousepaw! And Berrypaw.

"Well they won't be kits for much longer," Squirrelflight meowed.

"Then let them enjoy themselves," Daisy went on helping Squirrelflight repair the nursery.

"What are we going to be doing now?" I asked my littermates.

"Here!" Hollykit threw the mouse at me.

"Hey! I thought you were on my team!" Lionkit complained.

"Well I'm on Blazekit's team! You are on Jaykit's team!" Hollykit perked up.

"You should stop playing with prey. It's leaf-bare. We must be thankful for what we have," Stormfur meowed from behind us.