Chapter 2

When I awoke the next morning, light poured in through the tiny window above. I could see the shed had two wheelbarrows, shovels, rakes, fertilizer, a garden hose, and a small push mower. I was definitely in a small garden shed. I stood up, brushed the dirt off the back of my jeans, zipped up my sweater, and stepped outside. What I saw, was completely unexpected. I found myself standing in a graveyard. 

    The throbbing in my head reduced some last night, but was brought back after seeing all the tombstones. I felt for the bump, which seemed to have disappeared some, but it was still tender, as I winced when I touched it. I looked all around me. There had to be at least a hundred tombstones in view. I walked along the path to the main road, all the while glancing at each tombstone. I still didn't find my missing shoe. So I still only had one on, that is, my left one.  

    After a few minutes, I got out to the main highway. Remembering past trips here when my grandpa passed away a few years ago, I knew that to get to my house, I needed to start by turning right. As I started walking, I noticed the dryness in my mouth, and that my stomach was grumbling. I probably hadn't eaten for at least thirteen hours, so I was getting hungry. I knew that whenever my family and I came to the cemetery, it was always at least a five minute drive. On the way, there was a lot of hills. Based on my walking speed, it'd probably be forty five minutes before I got home. 

    The wind didn't really help. I was suddenly very cold. Chills went down my spine, and I shivered at least five times. The sun was shining high in the sky, but it didn't help. There were a few clouds in sight. The wind picked up a bit, sending wisps of my hair blowing around my face. Dead leaves blew around on the ground. A few vehicles passed me, and the drivers gave me weird looks. Nobody bothered enough to stop and check if I was okay. I kept walking, getting closer and closer to home. 

    At the first sight of my small one-story house, I started running, but immediately stopped. There was a police car parked in the driveway. I stared at it for a split second, then started running again. I ran right up to the door, but stopped before going in. What would my parents think if I walked in, covered in mud and vomit, missing a shoe? There wasn't really anything I could do, so I took a deep breath, and walked inside.