Oscar Part 23

Somebody screamed, it was a high-pitched sound hurting my ears badly.  An agonizing pain shot through my leg.  I must keep going.  I have to keep running.  Where is my mom?  I winced.  

My leg is hurting so badly but I must keep going.  I need a place to hide if I can just get to that big white thing over there, I might be able to hide inside.  I hope mom will come and look for me.  I'm so afraid!

I'm here, they won't find me here, I'm inside a white tunnel, I don't think they can see me here.  My heart is pounding, my eyes are blurring with tears and my leg is hurting so much.  Mom!

 I'm hungry and so thirsty.  What's that noise, it's rain.   I can drink some water.  That will at least lessen my thirst.  The droplets gathered on a plastic bag and I could lick it up.  That's better, now I can rest.

"Poor thing he must be here, somewhere, I've seen him running this way."  The voice is so near, I better move away from the entrance.

"Sjjj!  I heard something move."  That's another voice.  I'm sure they can hear my heart pounding against my ribs.

"Do you think he can be inside this pipe, let me have a look."  Her face is outside the entrance.  "There you are, come here I won't hurt you, I want to help you."

I want to move backward but my leg hurts so much, I winced and cried as I moved.  Suddenly someone grabbed me from the back, I tried to struggle but to no avail.  Two strong hands held me tight and the other voice whispered:  Don't be afraid, we're here to help you.  Will you hold him?"

  He gave me to the girl, whose face was at the entrance.  "Here is a blanket to keep him warm, I guess we have to return to the surgery, his leg is hurting.  We have to check it out."  He gets inside a truck.

"Poor thing," she said as she wrapped me in the blanket.  "We will get it fixed and give you a warm place to sleep and nice food and water."  That sounds nice and I'm starting to relax as my body warmed up in the blanket.  She also gets into the truck on the passenger side and holds me in her lap.

I must have fallen asleep.  When I woke up I was lying on a white table and felt the prick of a needle in my hip.  "The X-rays show that it is broken, we'll put it in plaster and check it again in a week's time," the man said as I fell asleep.

I must have slept for a long time, it's dark outside.  I'm so thirsty.  My leg is stiff but it's not hurting anymore.   I'm inside a small container with a soft bed and here is some water and food. 

I've been dying for water and after I've lessened my thirst, I filled my belly with delicious food.  I've been so hungry, I licked the dish clean.  I'll go back to sleep, I'm still tired.  I miss my mommy and a cuddle.  I need her body to keep me warm.