"I... Um..." I stuttered on what to say. Then I sighed and looked at him. "My family isn't here-"

"Liar!" Lafayette snapped at me.

"No, I mean they literally aren't here, they're someplace else!" I told him quickly. I looked away, then back to him. "My family, along with myself, literally live in a different world from here. That's why I have nowhere to go."

"Who is your family, sœur?" He asked again, more demandingly. I sighed unhappily.

"My sister, my husband, and two children." I admitted quietly. He seemed taken aback by this.

"So... You lied when you said you had no family?" He questioned. I shook my head quickly.

"No! No, not really. I don't have any family in this world." I explained. Lafayette stared at me in disbelief.

"So... You're actually married? With kids?" He seemed to be looking for confirmation, so I nodded. My mind went to them.

"The sweetest son and daughter." I murmured. I turned away from him to hide a shamed look. "I... Don't really want to talk about them, though."

"Oh," Lafayette said. I could feel him staring. We stood in silence for a long time. "Well... I have to leave tomorrow. Are you sure you won't come, ma sœur? Adrienne would be delighted to meet you."

"I want to help John." I explained, smiling a little. I gave my friend a pained look. "I know a lot more than you realize, and I have to be here."

"Okay..." He said, disappointment in his voice. After a few more minutes, he left. I stayed where I was, continuing to stare.

Let Act 2 begin.