>the Cost<Chapter Three>

Each person stepped into the snow, feeling a new wave of hope fly through our veins. We could see the outline of the castle. Holding Ian's hand in mine, we ran to the castle, slipping and sliding a little. It was great, such joy filled the air. Ian was smiling, grinning even.

When we reached the castle door, I knocked. The doors flew open, and a WOMAN stood before us. A seemingly familar woman. "Ah sons, this day was foretold! I always knew I'd meet you again," she said, touching her blonde braid softly. Her blue eyes, matching Ian's, stared at both of us, and an evil grin covered her face.

"M-Mother? But you're dead!" I exclaimed.

"Nah sons, I simply lied so I could reach power. Your father was kinda useless anywho. SOOO, I assume I know why you're here. Ian has lost his sight, and you want him to have it back," she replied.

"Yes," I said firmly.

"It comes with a price child," she replied, "But are you willing to play it?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed, "Now give him his sight back!"

"Okay," she said, smirking. She snapped her fingers, and suddenly a searing pain spread through my skull. I felt myself fading, and I slipped into the darkness.

...

"I don't know what she did to Lucas... But my sight's back," Ian's voice echoed, filling my mind. I didn't open my eyes. "I swear to Notch, if she hurt Lucas for me... I'll never live it down... I can't believe Lucas risked so much for me."

"Ian, it's okay..." Crainer said. I thought I heard Ian start to cry. My eyes fluttered open, I couldn't keep them shut any longer. I had to see Ian. I screamed when I opened my eyes. My vision was red, bloodred. My left eye glowed white hot with pain. I squeezed my eyes shut, and the pain receeded.

"Lucas. Open your eyes," Ian said. I felt his finger touch my chin. "'Please."

I opened my eyes slowly. The pain returned, but I pushed it away for Ian. I saw him cringe at the sight of them. I squeezed my eyes shut, and backed away from him. "Lucas," he whispered.

"W-Wh-" I started to cry, "What d-did sh-she do t-to my eyes?"

"Lucas," he whispered again, and I felt his arms pull me into a hug.

"WHAT DID SHE DO TO ME?" I screamed. I felt Ian back off, letting me go. "WHAT DID SHE DO? TELL ME IAN! TELL ME WHAT SHE DID!"

"Y-Your eyes.... They're cr-crossed..." Ian whispered. "I'm sorry."

I collapsed. I heard him get up, leaving the room. Crainer left too. I had made a big scene.

And I felt really, really, really bad.