DARKNESS | Chapter 5

'What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be.'
- Unknown

CHAPTER FIVE

Marcus' eyes gleam as he scans me over, as though judging my physical capabilities.

My minimal, almost non-existent capabilities.

But I'm hoping that's not important. Although it probably is.

I mean, did you see Brayden's combat skills?

The Rebellion...

I admit, I now find myself wondering whether I'm involved with the right people. 'The Rebellion' could be either a great cause or a really dangerous group of people. Frankly, I'm scared to find out after witnessing Brayden's combat skills and Kat's graceful stamina.

The Caulfield siblings are like pebbles that skip effortlessly across the surface of a still lake, whereas I'm the rock that plummets to the bottom, stirring up a cloud of dirt as I collide with the river bed.

Way to boost your already minimal self-confidence, Harper. Good job. Keep this up and you'll really be at rock bottom in no time.

"We have much to discuss with you," Marcus continues, the warm smile still genuinely plastered on his face. "However we need to focus on returning to safety before we delve into lengthy explanations. Brayden will look after you on the way there."

"What? Why me? Can't Kat take her?"

"She's your responsibility, Brayden," Marcus says.

"She's not, Dad. She was just my mission, and my mission is now complete. I did what I had to do."

Ouch.

She was just my mission.

I did what I had to do.

"I would have thought you'd have acquired a bond."

"If anything, it's of the negative kind."

Way to dig the knife in deeper, Caulfield.

"If I'm such a burden, why bother?" I glare menacingly at Brayden before turning to Marcus with the most angelic expression I can muster given my current anger. "Marcus, I appreciate the offer but I'll be okay to look after myself."

"If you're sure?"

"I'm sure."

"Very well then. I will talk to you when we get to the establishment. Stay close to the group, Harper, and never let your guard down. These forests are dangerous."

I nod, my smile faltering slightly as Marcus turns on his heels to head to the front of the group. Catching Brayden's eye one last time, he looks as though he wants to say something but doesn't know what or how. Still hurt by his words, I give him an expression completely void of emotion as I push past him to merge in with the others that are apart of The Rebellion.

<><><>

"You're saying I'm Immortal?" I raise my eyebrows, not buying it.

"No, you are still mortal, Harper Bryant," Marcus explains again. "Everyone else in this establishment is Immortal. It is strange in your case: usually a child born of two Immortal parents is guaranteed to be Immortal themselves. But you are not."

"Well how do you become Immortal?" I smirk slightly, wondering if they can just wave a magic wand and cast a spell over me to make me live forever.

That'd be the life.

"You can't just become Immortal; either you can be born into the bloodline, or you die and if you're strong enough to survive the changes and transitioning, you are reborn into our world."