DARKNESS | Chapter 8

"Shit happens."
- Unknown

CHAPTER EIGHT

As we approach what Brayden claims is 'Rebel Cove', two men, dressed entirely in black, jump out from behind the trees.

They smile when their eyes lock on my companion.

"Mr Brayden," one of them says. "We knew you'd make it. Majority of the survivors have already arrived and are assembled within the Cove. We trust you know the way from here?"

"Sure do. Thanks Tim."

"No problem, Sir."

"Any signs of activity?" Brayden asks.

The other man, also a lookout replies, "You're the first we've seen, although there are many mosquitoes to keep us occupied."

Brayden smiles, fist-bumping Tim and the other man before proceeding down the hill, weaving between the trees.

Before long, we've arrived in front of a large hill, shaped like a giant turtle's she'll with many trees covering it.

Brayden turns to me, smiling, much to my surprise.

"Welcome to Rebel Cove."

I look around, unable to see what it is we came all this way for.

"And this place is significant because...?"

"It looks like nothing from the outside, Harper. Look a little closer."

I do just that.

"Yeah, I'm still not seeing anything.

He smirks. "You're not supposed to."

I roll my eyes, following as Brayden leads me to a decent sized crevice in the side of the hill, turning left into it. There's a jagged tunnel, just large enough to walk through, and I can't help thinking that if I were to trip now, I'd probably skewer my head on one of the sharp-looking rocks and die.

This whole trip would have been in vain.

Wow, Harper, what a pleasant thought.

"Watch your step," Brayden warns, turning right after a few metres.

"Could have mentioned that earlier," I mutter.

Suddenly, the dangerous path opens out into a huge underground cave, a fire blazing in the centre of the large area like a gleaming beacon of orange light. The entire Rebellion is assembled inside the cave, huddled together as they talk quietly amongst themselves.

As Brayden and I enter, many of the people inside look up, watching us curiously.

Marcus immediately walks up to greet us, pulling both of us into a hug.

"I knew I could count on you." Smiling proudly at his son, he offers me a wink.

Kat barrels towards Brayden, surprising me when she also pulls us both into a huge hug as well.

"I was beginning to worry about you. We expected you earlier. I was gonna kick your ass, bro, if anything happened to Harps." She smiles at me before grabbing my arm and excitedly pulling me after her. "Come on, there's someone I want you to meet."

I try not to trip over my own two feet as I stumble slightly after Kat, still battling my renewed exhaustion. She comes to a sudden stop and I almost run into her,

"Mum, this is Harper. Harper, this is my Mum," Kat beams. I look up to see a fairly tall, elegant, blonde-haired woman with large green eyes and a warm smile.