oneshot

"𝘭𝘦𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘥, 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘯𝘰𝘳. 𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦. 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘮 𝘪 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘰?"

"let's go back. back to the start. back to the end where you tore me apart," i muttered bitterly, picking at grass. i sat at lee's grave. he's been dead six weeks. we're not yet over it.

"you didn't try to die.  how were you to know that giant had a rock? still, i think i might've cried more than mitch." that elicited a giggle. "the last thing you said was, 'goodbye.'"

"i've been replaying the scene for six weeks, trying to find the whisper of your heartbeat, trying to figure out what you felt for me."

"can we go back?" i cried, laying back until i was looking up at the sky.

"can we go back?" a voice agreed. when i looked around in shock, i saw it was connor. 

we sat back against lee's favorite tree. every five minutes or so, i snuggled closer. he and mitchell were all i had left. 

he got up. 

"no!" i exclaimed in panic, causing him to look down in concern.

"what's wrong? i'll be back in a few minutes. i'm just grabbing some coffee," connor reasoned.

"lee said he'd be back soon too," i murmured. "he wasn't."

"honey, i love you. i hate to see you so skittish. is there anything i can do?" he asked, caressing my cheek.

"lee is dead, connor. he was my first love. what am i meant to do? how am i meant to feel? there's nothing to do," i mumbled.

"honey, i know. trust me. i know that more than anyone else. do you want to talk more? or do you want to just sit and watch the sunset?"

"sunset. are you sure you won't get bored?"

"honey, i could never get bored of you. let's just sit before this all becomes a memory."

and so we sat.

he had that look in his eyes, as if we had the right idea and no one else did.

i wondered if his mother would like me. i wondered if we'd ever adopt a kid, and what he'd look like with popcorn in his hair. 

"thank you for being here for me," i murmured.

"it's my pleasure, honey."