𝐧𝐨𝐰

"𝐌𝐑 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐂𝐇, 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋." A rather ugly, short and pudgy man said to Barty one day. It was a cold day, the first day of Robert's seven years at Hogwarts. He had been sorted into Slytherin, he sent the letter as soon as he could. In his letter, he kept on telling his father that Cassandra will wake up now that he's grown and is at Hogwarts. Barty didn't have the heart to write back and tell him the horrible news. That and he had trouble processing this.

"She's not dead." Barty argued, voice barely above a whisper but Armando Picks heard him, only because he sat so close to him. "You'll see. She's not dead."

"Mr Crouch, I'm terribly sorry for your loss." Picks said, huffing out as he handed Barty the will. Barty didn't know how he felt, especially after seeing Zara Blue's reaction when the machine flatlined. He, on the other hand, had stared at it in horror, his heart pounding against his chest, begging to be set loose to join its other half. Barty's mind was numb as he tried to process the information. Cassandra was dead and he was next, he knew it. He was going to leave his beautiful son alone. He couldn't possibly live with himself just knowing that.

⋆⋆⋆

t h r e e  h o u r s  a g o :

Barty waved goodbye to both Draco and Robert, who was extremely excited to be finally going to Hogwarts. Barty saw him poke his head out the window.

"I'll write dad! To tell you which house I get!" He yelled just in time as the whistle blew and they slowly pulled away, Barty waved goodbye to his son once again before he glanced at Lucius and Narcissa.

"They grow up too fast, honestly." Narcissa hummed as she stood beside him. It was hard to believe that this was the woman who hated her sister in law, really. For she had an innocent face, and a loving heart. Barty remembered last year, when he had freaked out and had an episode. Narcissa took care of his son, the son of the woman she supposedly hated. That said a lot about her.

Barty smiled at Narcissa. "I'm going down to the hospital now, would you like to go with me? Who knows? Cassie might wake up today."

Narcissa could see the smile was fake, Lucius as well but they both said nothing about this. "We'd love to Barty." Narcissa answered and this time, a genuine smile spread across Barty's features. Lucius grabbed his wife's hand and Barty's before they Apparated and they showed up with a pop in front of the hospital, Barty enthusiastically leading them. He looked like a toddler being allowed to have that one huge lollipop.

Cassandra's ward room was cold, maybe because it was freezing outside. Rain was pelting on the roof, demanding to be heard over the chatter of the people who laughed with loved ones, shared secrets with strangers, cried over dead loved ones or people who were just happy to be alive. Barty sat down on his usual chair, it even had his leather jacket, as he had forgotten it here last night. Lucius sat across him, with Narcissa next to him.

"She looks very beautiful Barty." Narcissa commented, actually smiling. "I see where Robbie got his good looks." She teased and they all laughed, Barty's laughter was sort of stiff, as though he wasn't sure was it a joke or not.

"Hey, watch it now Narcissa, you might hurt Barty's very sensitive feelings." Lucius decided to tease and Barty chuckled at this. Though it was one hundred percent true. Barty had a sensitive heart, something a Death Eater should not have but he couldn't help himself. His sensitive heart led him to Cassandra, and if people thought him a fool to believe in fate, he didn't care. He believed fate brought them together. Narcissa wasn't the one who decided that Lucius should take him with that day, no, that was the universe, fate.

"Do you think she can hear us?" Narcissa asked, but she didn't wait for an answer from either men. "I'd like to say something to her." She swallowed hard and Barty saw Lucius intertwine their hands. "I'm sorry Cassandra, for the way I've been treating you. I was just terrified, terrified of you and for Draco's life. When you awake," Barty noticed that she didn't use if. It was like she was sure Cassandra was going to wake up. (Hope strikes again.) "I hope you can find it in your heart to be able to forgive me Cassandra. I did you wrong."

Barty saw Narcissa wipe away tears with her free hand. "Forgive me too Cassie, for I never did anything about the way you were living. I'm terribly sorry."

"It's not your fault Lucius, you too Narcissa." Barty sighed. "It's mine. I didn't see the signs, or the symptoms. I saw nothing."

"No Barty, it's not your fault." As soon as those six words left Lucius' mouth, the worst thing happened. Cassandra's machine flatlined. Barty stared at it in horror, just like Narcissa. Lucius jumped to his feet, seeing as he was the only one who could think straight at the moment.

"Nurse! Nurse!" He bellowed. "Help! Help! Please! My sister!" He cried. Actual tears had poured out his eyes as he went to sit down when Zara Blue entered, horror stricken. Barty sat as though someone had charmed him to sit still and not move one muscle. He could hear Zara yelling out for someone named François, and he vaguely remembered Cassandra mentioning him. He could hear Lucius sobbing. He could hear Narcissa, who regained herself, tell Zara to make sure, to do something.

Zara was crying. Cassandra had been her closest friend, the only true friend she had made honestly. Her best friend, at least she thought she was, had stabbed her in the back and she knew Cassandra would never do such a thing.

Cassandra was an angel, sent from above to grace this world with her presence though it was not long. Cassandra was a sister, an aunt, a wife, a friend and most importantly, a mother. Barty didn't know what to tell Robbie.

"I'm sorry." Zara had cried out, wiping away her tears but new ones fell. "We lost her."

For the first time since Cassandra became like this, Barty cried in front on Zara Blue. He had fell down to the floor, crying for his wife, for his love. But the world was cruel. (Hope was a funny word, as is fine. He hoped Cassandra would wake up, and that things would be fine. This, is where hope landed him.)