chapter 11

I know who told people in school about your parents

"It was on Wednesday - I was hiding in a cubicle in the girls' restroom in school," Alya started dramatically like someone would in those cliché Wattpad stories.

"You were hiding in the restrooms?" I questioned, interrupting her narration.

She nodded, "Yes, I was upset about my calculus test results and worried about how my parents would react to them."

"Were you crying in the bathroom stall?" I asked again.

"I... Yes. But don't interrupt me," she said, getting impatient.

I quickly apologized, wanting to know who spread the news about my parents, "Sorry..."

She nodded and continued, "Suddenly, I heard someone else come in. I kept quiet so that whoever it was wouldn't hear me. I listened on to their conversation.

'? - Come on!'

'?? - Are you sure about this? I don't want to get caught in the girl's restroom.'

'? - Relax! No one comes in here around now.'

"They were making out and, man, was it awkward. Imagine if my mobile had gone off or something! I quickly switched it to silent mode. Oh sorry, I forgot to mention! It was Chloe and Dylan - I recognized their voices immediately. I also suddenly realized that I should sit on the seat and lift up my feet.

"'Mmm, you're so hot,' Dylan said immediately after they broke the kiss.

"'Hotter than Marinette?' Chloe asked him, giggling.

"'Huh? Uh...yeah! Why?" He asked seemingly nervous.

"I heard Chloe scoffing. 'Ugh, everybody thinks she's so perfect - Little Miss Perfect. If they knew what her life was really like, I doubt she'd be so popular.'

"'What do you mean?' Dylan asked the seemingly obvious witch.

"Chloe giggled, 'Like, her mom's an alcoholic, and her dad's a total sleazebag. Heard he's screwing some young girl on the side.'

"Like, shit. I mean, I always knew Chloe could be rather bitchy at times, but even this was going way overboard, even for her. I'd heard enough - thank god they left soon after."

I looked at the cookie I was munching on. "I think I've lost my appetite."

"I'm so sorry, Mari," Alya said apologetically, giving me a tight comforting squeeze on my hands. "I went straight home after that. I was so angry with her, I didn't want to see her at cheerleading practice. I didn't tell you about it because you were already upset back then, and I didn't want to make it worse for you. I didn't know that they would be gossiping about you the next day."

I sniffed, squeezing her hand back while giving her a small smile. "At least you're still my friend."

"I should have told you immediately."

"At least you've told me now." I rubbed my head, looking down. "I guess it wouldn't have changed things anyway."

"I'm still sorry, Marinette," she said in a small voice. "What are you going to do now? Do you wanna get back at her? Let's put black hair dye in the shampoo bottle that's in her locker!" Alya joked.

We both let out a few chuckles at that. Sometimes, when it seems like things can't get any worse, or when life sucks so bad that you just want to curl up under your blanket and stay in bed forever, all you need is a friend to be there for you - to be there with you.