chapter 21

"I can't believe Alix is missing and Anaya is dead!" Marinette sobbed as Adrien tried to comfort her. They were standing in front of Adrien's car at François Dupout. "You have to find her! Please, Adrien!"

Adrien rubbed her shoulders, drawing her closer to him. "We have officers searching for her right now. Jesus... I'm so sorry, Mari."

Marinette sniffed, wiping away her tears but they kept on coming. "Don't you have any leads at all on finding the killer?"

"I'm working on a lead right now but it's taking sometime," Adrien said to his distressed girlfriend, "The killer is being very careful, he's covering his tracks well."

Adrien hesitated, as if debating internally as to how much to tell her and Marinette picked up on that. "Please, Adrien, tell me what you know!"

Adrien took in a deep breath before answering, "We have forensic evidence that likely indicates the killer is a male. There were...stains on Faye's and Chloe's cheerleading uniforms."

Marinette tilted her head giving him a confused look. "Stains? What stains?"

"Semen stains."

Marinette looked disgusted. "Oh! But why...what does that-- eeww!" Marinette cringed, making gagging sounds.

Adrien looked at her and shook his head, "I've ran the DNA results through our database, but no match has shown up so far. Whoever it is has never been arrested before. In addition, I've tracked down all the black Fords registered in this state, compiled a list of all the owners and did a check on every one of them. There was just one guy, who apparently sold his vehicle and received cash for it, but the title of the certificate of the car was never transferred to the new owner."

"So you know who bought the car?" Marinette asked the blond-headed man.

Adrien shook his head. "According to the previous owner, the buyer called himself 'Nelson', and he was wearing an oversized black hoodie which covered his head, and sunglasses. He was also wearing one of those flu face masks that you can get from any pharmacy. The seller obviously had his suspicions, but he had been trying to sell his car for some time and the guy offered to buy it from him on the spot with full payment in cash. So he closed one eye and sold it with no questions asked. That means I have no description of the buyer of the car aside from his height, the fact that he is male, and from what little skin he could see, a Roman nose."

Marinette nodded. "Adrien, Alix is one of my best friends! She's such a sweet and kind person! She doesn't deserve this," she hiccupped, "And now she...might be dead."

"Listen, Marinette-" Adrien began to say while pulling out of the hug to soothe his girlfriend until a voice interrupted them from behind.

"Hey, is everything okay?" The duo turned to look at the owner of the voice, who happened to be Marinette's Spanish teacher, Luka Couffaine. "Is something wrong?"

"Mr. Couffaine, Alix is missing, and her mother is dead!" Marinette blurted out to the older man without even thinking.

Luka's expression seemed a little out of place, but he looked shocked. "What!? Oh my god...!"

Marinette sniffed, wiping away the few tears that dropped out with a towel that Adrien had handed to her. "Oh, Adrien, this is my Spanish teacher, Mr. Couffaine."

Adrien looked him up and down before crossing his arms so he didn't have to shake the man's hand, "Yes, I know."

"Mr. Couffaine, this is Adrien Agreste, he's in charge of the investigations." Marinette continued with her introduction.