Chapter One

It was the morning after Lorraine Hudson had moved from Washington to Arizona. She was sat alone at the breakfast table surrounded by a handful of her new pack which made her realise just how much she missed her own family.

When her parents had broke the news to her, that she was to move across the country to her mother's original pack, she had put up a fight that lasted for days till she relented after hearing their side of things. Her parents had managed to calm Lorraine down, promising her that it was only temporary and that she'd be back with them in no time.

Lorraine knew it was for her safety after everything that had gone on between herself and a few pack members, but it broke her heart knowing that there was a chance that she could never go back to Washington.

Her parents weren't happy with this outcome and neither was she, but it was the only way to keep Lorraine safe.

But what Lorraine couldn't understand was why she was the one that had to leave Washington. She had left her friends behind without a second glance apart from Kristen who had been her rock throughout the entire ordeal, one of the few who knew the very reason for Lorraine's abrupt move. Kristen had helped Lorraine's parents convince her to leave and move forward.

Lorraine had also graduated at the local university with an honours degree in biomedical sciences and she was determined to work as soon as she threw her cap.

But fate didn't go according to Lorraine's plan.

It wasn't as if Lorraine disliked her pack, she just had a few difficulties with the former Alpha and his family – he didn't like her that much, and even though she had remained on her very best behaviour till the end, he was relieved to see her leave.

Her new pack were a pack of tight-knit wolves who had total faith in their Alpha and Beta, and even though she had been there for only a day and a half, they made her feel welcomed. She had arrived just before sunset yesterday and was met with the Beta. Her mother had warned her to make this pack her permanent home and to be kind to everybody. But of course, Lorraine knew that wouldn't last so she settled on a newly improved version of old herself. It was still her, just without the mouth of a sailor and a bitch of an attitude.

Lorraine was sat in the corner of the breakfast room, sipping her coffee whilst trying to smile at anyone who looked her way but she was certain it came out more like a grimace. Glancing around, everyone was absorbed in their own conversations – teenagers gossiping, children making a mess and their mothers scolding them.

Some of the elder members of the pack had recognised her to be her mother's daughter but others barely glanced at her twice; just once to see the new member of the pack.

Lorraine was the only one sat on her own until she saw a blur of blonde whiz between the tables, hurtling towards where she sat.

"Pancakes or eggs?" Allison asked breathlessly, putting down plates on the table in front of them. She had definitely bought more food over than Lorraine could ever have in a single day and even though logic told her to eat something, she ignored it.

She shook her head. "I think I'll stick with my coffee thanks." Lorraine hadn't even taken large gulps, just small sips whilst moving the spoon from side to side.

"You need to eat Lorraine," Allison remarked, her eyes narrowing in on the girl in front of her. "I didn't see you at dinner last night."

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Lorraine leaned into her hand whilst continuing to stir the spoon inside the mug. "I bought some snacks with me so I was eating them late last night once I got settled in." She lied.

Her appetite had gradually decreased over the few months partly from stress and for a while, Lorraine had purely lived on coffee. It was only after an intervention from the pack doctor that made Lorraine eat again and for a while, she was on the path to recovery. But there were certain triggers like moving across the damn country that made Lorraine take a few steps back when she had run a mile forward.