Chapter Two

After consuming her small cup of coffee, Lorraine had made her way to her room just to freshen up before setting out. Her dark curls framed her petite face, and she wore a cashmere sweater with frayed black jeans. As soon as she had her jacket on, her phone started vibrating.

Glancing at it, it was her mother calling. For a moment, Lorraine had the urge to reject the call to avoid hearing her mother's voice which would make her feel homesick.

But then a surge of annoyance had coursed through her veins.

Her mom's warm voice rang out. "How are you settling honey?"

"It's been less than a day." Lorraine spoke as she leaned against the dresser whilst peering out the large window. Her room overlooked the training field and the forests that surrounded the packhouse. Lorraine's room was on the middle floor and it was fortunate for her that there was a large tree just outside her window which would make sneaking out past the pack's curfew easier.

Her mother knew when she was feeling agitated; Lorraine's replies were always snippy, she would glare at everyone and everything, and would be a pain to deal with. "Lorraine please don't push us away. We're doing this for you so you can live your life and be happy."

Lorraine's mother knew it would hurt Lorraine the most but there was nothing else she could do. She had tried her best to change Alpha Manon's decisions but once he made up his mind, nothing could be done to undo that choice.

"I wasn't aware I was unhappy in Tacoma where I belong." Lorraine sniped back, closing her eyes as she pressed her forehead against the cool glass of the window. She felt as if everything was falling down around her, she had upped and left her home and wasn't even certain when she'd get the chance to return.

Her chest panged at the thought of never going home to Tacoma.

"You know what I mean."

Lorraine did know what her mother meant, she just didn't agree with it. For a moment, Lorraine would have preferred it if life had a rewind button where she would have the chance to redo life two summers ago.

If it wasn't for Alpha Manon, she wouldn't be in this damn situation.

"I never asked any of this to happen mom, you know this," she murmured, gripping her phone tightly. "I didn't ask for what happened to Theo and I never once stepped out of line."

Granted, everyone knew of Lorraine's bad temper but what they didn't know was that Lorraine never did anything without a second thought. It was only when Lorraine was provoked that she acted impulsively.

Lorraine heard her mother sigh from the other end of the phone. "Honey we know and even Alpha Manon knows –"

"Well he has a funny way of showing it because don't think I didn't see his face when I drove off," Lorraine clenched her eyes shut, the image of Manon smirking slightly as she drove away coming to the forefront of her mind. His mate, plastered to his side looked uncertain, her eyes flitting between Lorraine's receding car and her mother. "He was relieved I went mom, most of the pack were."

"It was just a small misunderstanding that's all."

Lorraine scoffed. Her mother had a habit of justifying everyone else's actions just so Lorraine wouldn't see them in a bad light. It was a bit late for that because at twenty-two, Lorraine knew exactly what the world was like. She was forced to grow up quickly as a teenager, not even allowed to live her teenage years as a fully-fledged teenager.

"Well this small misunderstanding is costing me my life. I just don't understand why Manon couldn't do anything, like I don't give a shit if Theo was his son. Where the hell were those basic human morals he kept going on about? Did he just pluck them out his ass and then shove them back in there when push came to shove?" Lorraine grimaced. "I hate him mom. I hate them."