~Five

Gabriella's thoughts

°don't close up the book of your dreams.

🌷

🌷

🌷

🌷

It was two am in the morning and I was wide awake, staring up at my second dreamcatcher in my room.

They always comforted me. It was like looking up and knowing you are being taken care of. It's silly but it's true.

I tossed and turned in my bed. Sleeping right now was impossible, so I made my way downstairs to grab a glass of milk but halfway down the stairs and I hear soft whispers of argument.

"We're broke!" My mother yelled in a hushed voice, probably trying not to wake us up.

"Keep your voice down alright, you'll wake up the kids and don't you think I know that." My father said in a low but firm voice.

They're broke?

How could that be?

"Well what are we going to do? We have bills to pay!" Mom said.

"I know that too! We both knew this day was coming when Gabriella was diagnosed. We just have to figure out a way, maybe sell a few things." Dad reasoned.

"What are we possibly going to sell?! Look, she's your daughter. Fix it!" Mom said. I heard the sound of the chair being pushed back.

I considered running but I couldn't. I wanted to but it was like I didn't know how to. I froze!

Mom caught me at the stairs and stopped.

"What are you doing there Gabriella?" She shot me a hard glare.

"I was just....getti...getting...some....mi...milk." I stammered out.

"You shouldn't be eavesdropping on things you don't understand." She said harshly and walked past me bumping into my shoulder.

That was cold.

My mother has never taken that tone with me, so I was shocked.

Why was she so cold all of a sudden?

I walked down the remaining flight of stairs when the blood in my body started flowing again and I entered the kitchen.

To see my dad on the chair, his back hunched while he supported his head with his arms that were placed on the table.

"Dad?" I called out softly like I was scared he would snap at me the way mom did.

He looked up in surprise.

"Gabriella! What are you doing up?" He asked.

"I couldn't sleep. Came to get some milk." I shrugged and sat opposite him.

"You heard didn't you?"

"You guys are broke because of me?" I asked instead of answering him.

"It's not like that okay?" Dad shook his head, obviously exhausted.

"What's it like dad?" I asked.

"You won't understand. This is nothing for you to be afraid of."

"Help me understand dad!" I demanded raising my voice.

"You can't! Go to your room and sleep!" He got up and walked out leaving me dumbfounded.

Thanks so much for reading, please leave a vote, comment and share.

I admit, I'm not all there for Wattpad in general and my books but I've been busy and I'll try to make time for it. I even have a killer headache from stress.

Thanks for the follow and few reads and votes I've gotten. I love you guys. For real, I'm not just saying this, it means a lot to me.