Unexpected Trouble

It took all but a split second to arrive, with Flynn's ability to use any door. The notes from Jenkins helped as well.

It wasn't that Sara wanted to go home — she had enough of that place — but she did have to wonder how her mother was faring in all of this. She didn't trust her father would be civil without her around. It wasn't as if she could call right now either. No reception all the way out... wherever the hell they were.

"How can you handle this?" Sara asked out of the blue.

Flynn cast only the slightest of glances to her before refocusing on the path ahead of him. "Handle what?"

"Being away from family. Friends."

"I have no friends."

"Family then."

Briefly, Flynn stopped, whirled on his heels and said, "We need to focus up, Sara. Okay? We can't be thinking of useless–!" He clenched his teeth for control, so hard that it made his jaw hurt.nEverything came rushing back when she asked that stupid question; everything and everyone he lost to this ridiculous job, and for what? Saving the world? The world was always ending.

Eventually, he slackened his jaw and continued on a different train of thought. "This is the place. Come on."

Before them was a pyramid amidst the sand dunes, which they were tired of by this point. Sand: it really did get everywhere. Still they pressed on, and the blackened moonlight hid them. Then as they approached a plateau of smooth rock they heard the mysterious thrumming of something heavy. Their hearts seemed to stop beating.

Sara heard an indistinct voice before it even registered in Flynn's mind, so she grabbed him and pinned him against a pillar, covering his mouth. She put a finger of hers to her own mouth, indicating that he needed to stay quiet, and she felt something like a tremor. Then the truck lurched to a halt, and the shaking subsided.

What the hell is that doing all the way out here? she inwardly wondered.

Instantly, Flynn recognised the people climbing out of the vehicle. He let out a muffled exclamation, however, it was immediately hushed by her. A puff of air escaped his nostrils.

Sara waited until the coast was clear to remove her hand. "What?" she snapped, sotto voce.

"I know them."

"Oh, great. Maybe you can tell them to bugger off," Sara muttered as she peered around the corner again. "Who are they?"

"Doesn't matter," he replied in a whisper. "We just need to keep them away."

"Kick their arse. Got it," Sara bolted for the bad guys without another word or thought.

"No, that's–!" By the time he started to finish talking she was already gone. The lone finger he had lifted joined the others in a fist that dropped to his side. Flynn sighed in defeat. "Not what I had in mind."

"Oy!" Sara shouted, snagging their attention before they reached the door. One of them, a dark-haired woman, grabbed hers as well. "Ooh, 'ello," While biting her lip, she looked her up and down. "Nice BDSM getup you're donnin'. What're you doin' later?"

"Who the hell are you?" she demanded.

"Heeyyy, you're from the Kingdom, eh? What's that, Londoner? GB? Definitely not Cockney–" The sound of multiple guns clicking cut her right off. "Ahhh, heh. Gun types. I'm more of a knife lass, but since I forgot to bring one–"

"I'm not asking again."

Sara looked behind her to see if Flynn was still back there. Unfortunately, she couldn't tell, even with her abilities. Either he went inside, out of her range, or he was insanely great at hiding.