Thanksgiving was one of the few times the ostentatious dining room was used. I watched from the stairs as Lilly set up the table. I had offered to help, but I wasn't much use considering I had never cooked in my life. The most I could handle was Kraft mac and cheese which I was positive would not be served today.

Guests were arriving in the afternoon so Mike and Noah had spent the morning cleaning up and getting things in place, I again offered to help, but I had no clue where anything went. So instead, I sat where I was, glumly watching from the top of the stairs. Around two, our first guests came: Noah's brother and family. The introduction was awkward and left me feeling sour. Noah, Lilly, and Mike had obviously greeted them like family, then Noah put a hand on my shoulder and introduced me.

"This is Alex," he said finally. "My daughter."

My uncle studied my face for a long time. His wife simply looked shocked. Their daughter had a nasty look on their face.

"Is she Myra's daughter?" My uncle finally guessed, clearly proud of himself for figuring it out.

Noah didn't say anything back, but I caught him sending a warning glance at his brother.

"I mean she does have those signature forest green eyes, I would recognize them anywhere," My uncle chuckled and looked over at me. "Your dad chased after her for years and she left after finally agreeing to date him, always wondered why."

Bile rose in my throat. I hated the tone he was talking in.

"Moving on," Noah said firmly. "She is apart of our family, and I expect you to treat her as such."

My aunt looked too proud to greet me and followed Lilly into the kitchen to help with the preparations, while Noah and his brother went to watch the football game. Mike glanced between me and our cousin.

"This is Ashley," Mike said.

Ashley looked like a princess, and you could tell she knew it. Her blonde hair was curled and flowed beautifully down her back. She was wearing a maroon dress that complimented her features perfectly. She had such an evil look on her face though. We stood awkwardly until Noah called Mike over and I was left alone with her.

"I think it's so cute when girls decide not to wear makeup," she said smirking. "Truly, you're so brave."

I rolled my eyes. So I would not be getting along with her, that was obvious. "Unlike you I don't need makeup to feel good about myself."

That pissed her off. "Your dad must be so embarrassed having you around," she said smirking.

I felt my cheeks heat up, my ears were red too. I had no other insults to throw at her, she seemed perfect, except for her words. Thank God the doorbell rang, I rushed to answer it.

"Hi, Alex," Thomas said smiling.

I breathed a sigh of relief. I wanted Thomas around right now. "Hi," I said smiling.

Dr. Pierce smiled as well. "Good to see you, Alex."

"You too," I replied.

I let them both in and Dr. Pierce joined the other men watching the game. Thomas walked by my side as we went back over to where Ashley was by the stairs. I could tell Ashley was interested in Thomas. She wasn't exactly subtle.

"Hi, I'm Ashley," she said flirtatiously.

"Uh, Hi I'm Thomas," he answered clearly oblivious to her motive.

"How do you know my Uncle Noah and Aunt Lilly?" she asked him, not even acknowledging my presence.

"My grandfather worked with Lilly in the past, and I go to school with Mike and Alex," he replied politely.