Chapter Seven

Hey, guys, I'm sorry this has taken so long to post. I've kind of lost my motivation for this story lately, but it's so close to finishing that I'll do my best. Here's what I've got for this chapter--I know it's filler. I'm sorry.

"This was a lot easier when we had a freshly-captured member of the Neverseen to interrogate whenever we felt like it." Sophie was pacing her room, while Dex and Biana sat on the floor and on Sophie's bed, respectively. She turned to see them looking at each other as if to say you talk to her. "What?"

"How much longer are we going to be...talking?"

"What do you mean?" Dex picked up the thread Biana had left off.

"We--the rest of us, I mean--get to go and pick up our Match scrolls today. Since we don't know anything new...and school starts tomorrow...." Sophie felt like she'd been slapped. Gently, but still.

"Okay. Go get your matches."

"We'd love for you to come with us, but you don't like dressing up,much, and you're not going to get a list..." Biana looked as though she wished Dex had done the talking, and his face mirrored hers.

"No, let's do this." Sophie forced herself to smile. "You can give me a makeover if you want." Biana clapped her hands and Dex stood up.

"I guess that's my cue to leave."

"See you at Everglen in a couple of hours?" Biana smiled, but her eyes were distant, already planning she and Sophie's outfits.

"Of course." Dex's dimple flashed, and he headed downstairs. Biana stood in front of Sophie's wardrobe with her hands on her hips.

"You probably shouldn't wear any teal, and even though you look great in red, it's been done." Sophie squelched a smile. "This is pretty." Biana held out a long silvery dress.

Sophie shook her head. "Edaline picked that out."

"But it'll look gorgeous. And you did say that I got dress you up." Biana smiled angelically, and Sophie went to her bathroom to change. The dress was beautiful and felt wonderfully light and airy. "Hurry out so I can do your hair!" Biana called. "I still have to get ready and make Fitz get ready."

"Okay, okay," Sophie returned to let Biana work her magic. "What are you doing to my hair?"

"Just a braid," Biana said. "Nothing fancy." Once Biana had finished, Sophie decided against complaining that 'just a braid' had taken the better part of half an hour. "I am going to Everglen, and you will be there in an hour and a half." Sophie nodded and smiled. 

"See you later."

She arrived before Dex but after Linh, Marella, and Keefe. They both looked like slightly more glamorous versions of themselves, Keefe in more mature clothes than usual, and Linh in a flowing midnight-blue gown. Marella and Biana looked similarly gorgeous, the former in a burgundy, off-the-shoulder number with silver accents and the latter in a dusty-rose dress that complemented her blush and made her teal eyes pop.

"Wow, Foster, no red dress?" Linh elbowed him.

"Sophie looks great," Linh said. "You can keep your thoughts about what you think she ought to look like to yourself." Biana nodded.

"She looks great," interjected Dex, arriving. "Are we ready to go yet?" Biana and Sophie shook their heads in sync.

"Fitz is taking all day."

"I'm here now," he said, joining them. He didn't meet Sophie's eyes. "Let's go."