Blast Off!

The launch control center was full. About 10 people. Just as full as the mission control center room. But outside was much more cramped. TV reporters, kids, parents, family members, and a whole lot more were either standing, holding a camera or striking a pose in front of the launch site. The rocket itself, creatively named ROCKET 1, stood 110 meters tall. It took on a tube-like shape, with a red aerodynamic nose facing the sky. All white, shining in the sun and ready to launch.

"Launch control center to Ten, all systems are go." Said Zero.

"We are clear for launch." Said another Zero from the same room.

"Ok, initiate countdown sequence." Said Ten to her radio from inside the rocket.

Everybody is around the site, watching her blast off in a rocket. NASA (Numberland Aeronautics and Space Administration) prepared her for the 7-day trip on the Moon, sending a probe to which she will catch up to when she needs some supplies. Everyone said it was a ludicrous idea. They say NASA should have simply launched a single rocket, like everyone else. But they wanted to be different and unique. They went with their plan.

As they count down, everyone else counts down with them.

"7, 6, 5, 4, main engines start."

"Copy."

Ten presses a few buttons on her control panel. The thrusters get to work, and smoke is now emitting from the rocket's bottom.

"3, 2, 1.. Blast off." Says Zero from the control room.

With a great whoosh and a burning flame, Numberland's first manned space rocket ascended the sky.

"We have liftoff!" Said Zero. The crowd roared, clapped and jumped in joy.

Down in Numberland, the responsibility of control is handed over from the launch control center to the mission control center.

Meanwhile in space, Ten looked out through her tiny window. Feeling weightlessness and staring at the Earth in real life. She had always wanted to do this. She suddenly remembers when she was 2 years younger. She had a jetpack, and would always use it to fly home. Now she's leaving home. About 10 minutes later, phase 1 was ready to fall off.

"This is mission control center to Ten. Altitude safe for phase 1 to descend."

"Copy." Answered Ten again.

Flipping some switches and pushing a single button, she felt the rocket slow down. After a few loud clanks, the first phase fell to Numberland.

After a few hours, she checked the speed gauge. The rocket was slowing down.

"Ten to Numberland, velocity is slower than wanted."

"What's your velocity?" Asked Zero.

"Only around 33,000 kph."

"You need about 8,000 more kph at that rate!"

"This is it's top speed, Zero."

"But we engineered it to go at 40,233 kph tops! Check your fuel gauge."

"Bad news, Zero. Fuel is running low—"

"Already?! You were supposed to have a refill at the probe interception 5 minutes from now! Try anything you can."

"Velocity is at about 29,050 kph."

"Initiate use of reserve fuel."

"Copy."

After flipping a switch, the reserve fuel ignited. Checking the speed gauge again, Ten reports to Earth.

"It only got us an extra 3,000 kph."

"It's not enough! You're about 4 minutes from the probe refill and you only have enough fuel to last 3 minutes!"

"Fuel gauge says I only have 2 minutes actually."

Zero reluctantly decided to say what any control room would not want to hear.

".. Zero, lock the doors." She said to another Zero. Locking the doors in the control room is the first instruction for a failed mission. Zero locks the doors.

After some murmuring Ten spoke. "I can extend the life of the fuel. But it will sacrifice my radio. It's the only thing I wouldn't need too much in here."

"Tell me your plan, quick!

"I could use the electronics of the radio to create a spark—"

"SUMMARIZE IT QUICKLY!"

"I will deliberately make the engines go haywire."

"Ok, as long as you can get to the probe! There will be a new radio there so you can communicate to us again."

"Velocity stable at 29,156."

Ten grabs the bottom right corner of her control panel where the radio is. She still can't believe she's doing this. It's her first time aboard a real rocket in space. But she hopes her 2 years of training would help in the slightest.

"You will experience loss of signal in 5 seconds. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.."