18. Friendship is Magic

Ayano stares out the hospital window with a dazed look. She blinks twice before gazing down into her hands; a white scarf.

"Here, you weren't paying attention so.." Sasuke murmurs lowly. "I didn't want to disturb you."

"O-oh, sorry, was I spacing out?" Ayano answers calmly. "I guess I'm just a little tired."

"Hn..." Sasuke sighs and sits down next to her bed. "So, speaking of the scarf, when we caught you, it was clean. How'd you do it?"

"The scarf...?" Ayano questions softly. "Oh... This scarf you gave me... It's really important, so I coated it in my chakra to make sure it doesn't get dirty."

Sasuke can't help but feel a tug at the corners of his lips. "You could just put it in your bag, stupid." He retorts calmly, staring at her pale face. "You don't need to care that much for it."

Ayano smiles softly. "I've never received such a gift like that in my entire life." She whispers, face growing red of embarassment. "But next time, I'll tuck it away so it won't get dirty..."

"Yeah." Sasuke replies shortly enchanced by her soft voice. Never before would he have been able to hear her speak so quietly or melodically. When she first met them, she came off as a silent, but sharp kunoichi.

"May I come in?~" A certain lazy voice chimes. 

Sasuke quickly snaps his head towards the voice and sighs heavily.

"Sure sensei." Ayano smiles gracefully. "We weren't really talking about much."

"Well aren't you two cozy." Kakashi blanches before stepping in and swinging in a chair to sit on. "Sasuke skipped out for you, Ayano. Don't you feel special?" He asks, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

Sasuke tch's and looks away as Kakashi sweatdrops.

Ayano laughs softly and nods. "Yeah, I feel quite special. Thanks Sasuke."

"I'm just gonna warn you now Sasuke." Kakashi says with a cheery smile under his mask. "If you skip next time, than I'll make you work 10x's harder."

Sasuke flinches and nods solemnly. "Yes..."

"Now, I'll be waiting at the dango shop. I expect you to arrive an hour, alright?" Kakashi asks creepily, eyeing Sasuke with a deadly look. 

Sasuke sighs deeply and nods. 

"I'll go ahead." Kakashi says happily, standing up. "I'll see you later, Ayano~"

After Kakashi shuts the door, he frowns under his mask. 'She looks so much happier now, how can  I ever admit to my sin?'

Ayano stares down, a hard look in her eyes.

"He was a bother." Sasuke says bluntly, rolling his eyes and scooching closer to the bed. "Did he really have to rub in the fact that I didn't come?"

Ayano chuckles quietly. "Well, you shouldn't miss practise because of me, Sasuke." 

"I-I'm not missing it for you, exactly." Sasuke murmurs, turning his flustered face away from Ayano. "I was just alittle worried about you, stupid."

Ayano smiles softly. "Yeah." She answers quietly. 

Sasuke quickly shifts his eyes over to her mellow black ones. He reluctantly stretches out his hand and places it on top of hers.

"Don't be stupid." Sasuke tch's, still looking away. "I care at least."

Ayano eyes meets his cold darker ones. The feeling of his warm hand reaches her cold skin as a pink dust scatters across her cheeks. "I care too..."