BURN

"Might go down tonight

"Might go down tonight." What did y'all do," Kie asked the boys. They brushed off her comment as the movie started. I released JJ's hand as I moved in front of him, leaning my back against his front. The last few days we've become a sort of comfort for each other. Simply platonic, but comfort nevertheless. He played with my hair as we watched the movie. Even tried braiding it at one point, only to rip a piece out of my head to which I glared at him. About halfway through the movie, Pope tried to get our attention, disrupting the little bubble we were in.

"JJ?"

"What," JJ asked him, annoyed at the sudden disturbance from our calm state.

"I gotta take a piss," he told JJ, to which I chuckled at.

"Hold it," JJ hissed at him.

"I can't hold it. I drank too much soda," Pope pleaded with JJ.

"It's too exposed. They'll totally see us," JJ told the boy sternly as if he were his father.

"I gotta go." The boy whined. JJ sighed, looking at me distressed. I patted the boy's chest as I leaned forwards to let him stand. Kie finally noticed their discussion and turned to look at them.

"Hey, where y'all going," she asked them.

"We gotta wring it out." JJ told her as they both started walking away, "be right back Harp, and then I'm trying to braid your hair again," the boy winked before turning around, pulling Pope with him.

"You gonna hold it for each other," Kie called to them sarcastically. I received a few glares from the people sitting around us after bursting out laughing at her comment. As Kie turned back to the movie, I looked around only to make eye contact with Topper. His hard glare softened slightly but then rehardened as he saw who I sat with. I'm surprised he hadn't seen me earlier. I attempted a smile at the boy but his face turned away from me as Rafe whispered in his ear.

I turned back around to the movie that I hadn't paid any attention to until now. I was confused for a few minutes before Kie leaned over to whisper to me.

"Where'd they go, it's been like ten minutes," she asked me. I turned to look behind me only to see Topper, Rafe, and Kelce gone from their places. Crap, crap, crap. I didn't know what was going on but this might be what's going down. I saw JJ's backpack sitting in front of me, I grabbed the bag and Kie's hand, running in the direction I saw the two go. We ran over to the treeline only to hear yelling from behind the projector screen.

"Hey, kick his ass, Top," Rafe yelled as they came into view. Kelce was holding JJ as Rafe went at him. Topper "dealing" with Pope. I stood in shock watching the five fight.

"Come on, Rafe," JJ yelled, "that all you got?"

"Let go of him, Topper! Fascist asshole," Kie jumped into action, grabbing the backpack from my hand to hit Topper with.

"Stop," I started to scream at the five boys as punches were thrown. I received mere laughs back at my interruptions.

"Hey, listen, Pope. All you gotta do..." Topper started. I ran forward and grabbed his arm "Topper, stop," I pleaded with the boy. His eyes were dark, rage-filled, a color I'd only seen the day I left him standing in the graveyard.

"...is accept personal responsibility," Topper ignored my pleading, gently pushing me to the side.

"Screw you, Kook!" Kie and I attempted to push the boys away before Kie was grabbed by Rafe, who pulled her away. I ran behind him and jumped on his back trying to pry his arms off of my friend.

"Let go of me, Rafe," Kie yelled only for her to be thrown to the ground, me not far behind her. I landed on my back, the wind knocked out of me. I rolled over coughing, gasping for air.

"Stay out of this," he yelled at us. Kie rushed over to me as our two friends tried to reach us only to be pushed away from us.

"Come on, man. Just admit it," Topper screamed, louder and angrier than I'd ever heard, "admit you did it, bitch!" The boys continued to yell at each other as I regained my air. Topper was choking Pope when I looked towards the boys.

"Fuck, Topper stop," I screamed as loud as I could. He turned to look at me, only slightly letting go of Pope.

"Why are you even here, Harper," the boy's attention was turned towards me as I got up from the ground. I pushed my way towards him, shoving him away from Pope and JJ. The projector screen erupted in flames as Topper and I continued to have our stare down.

"Does it matter why I'm here," I yelled back, "I'm here and you're hurting my friends."

"Guys! Fire," Rafe yelled interrupting me, backing away from the fight.  I looked at Topper with pleading eyes, begging him to just go.

"Get off of him," Kie yelled at Kelce, who finally dropped JJ, who knelt down wheezing from the chokehold.

"Let's get outta here," Rafe yelled, pulling Kelce away as Topper and I continued our now internal argument.

"Topper, please," I begged the boy but not for the reason everyone thought. I was begging him to stop but I was begging him to stop this internal battle within himself. To stop the whole kooks versus pogues complex he had. To go back to being the boy I loved, the boy that didn't care what people thought of him, the boy that loved me.

He broke eye contact with me for the final time that night, following his friends as fire spread around me. Not physical fire, but emotional. My body dropped to the ground as it consumed me, no longer holding back tears. 

"You good?" Kie asked the boys, oblivious to my condition on the ground behind them. 

"We're okay," Pope said, only to be cut off by JJ, who saw me, "Harper!" JJ ran over to me as the other two followed closely. JJ wrapped his arms around me as I continued to cry, curling myself into his embrace. The lawn was now cleared and the only thing left was me and my broken heart.

an.

DOUBLE UPDATE BOOM

how are we feeling about JJ and Harper??? ultimate brotp!!!