Choas And Calm

I stared at the message and started typing furiously, when I didn't get a reply I typed my father's personal cell and called him. It was busy. I called his secretory next again it came busy. I huffed and sat on my bed in the dread of the night. I glanced over the message again.

"We lost the deal" 
   It was from my father.

     I stared at the wall, wondering what went wrong. There was this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I blamed myself. It was because of me that dad lost his years of hard work. I called again, it rang this time but it was promptly cut off. It wasn't possible my mind screamed, how could he lose it? Questions were swimming in my mind, I tried to reason them all trying desperately to find out the proper answer. I didn't know how long I sat like that, thinking about what could be done, all the business lessons popped up one by one. I glanced at the phone. It was past midnight, it must be around 3 am in my father's office.

I waited impatiently. I wanted to know the current status, had they convinced Mr. Hwan to do the deal? Or did we really lose it. I pulled my hair slightly, I was frustrated. I was looking at my phone every two minutes. Finally, my phone rang I picked it up hurriedly.

" Dad, what happened?" I asked urgently.

" We lost the deal " he repeated disappointment evident in his voice.

" How " I whispered.

" There was a bug in our system. I had prepared a file for you so that Hailey would leave you alone till your party, someone sent it to Mr. Hwan. He was furious that we broke his trust".

" But he doesn't have an option, we made sure that he wouldn't sell his company to anyone else " I replied barely able to stand.

" A new company approached Mr. Hwan just before this file was sent. ' Adailton industries ' " he said and I took in a sharp breath.

" Hailey's Fathers company"

" Right, they didn't have to do much convincing because Mr. Hwan already felt betrayed. It was a setup. We were set up."

My father was one of the smartest men that I knew, the fact that Hailey managed to fool us so easily had me dumbfounded. I could feel the chaos behind my father. Even at 3, the office felt full, everyone bustling around trying to find a solution. I could hear the anger, frustration of the employees as the sound of paper rustling and running footsteps reached my ears. My father let of a sigh and in that moment it all became real.

" Now what ?"

" We are trying to convince him, but he isn't ready. He even threatensd to press charges. Trust is very important in a family business. I don't think any amount of effort will be of use now " he said quietly, then he directed his secretary to look at a file.

" I'm so sorry dad"

" It's not your fault, I have started to believe people easily, I am stuck right now. You are not understanding, even if I get something I can't use it. Because if I do put it in motion the news will reach Adailton and then your reputation will be shattered"

Tears flowed from my eyes, knowing that my father was doing all of this for me. I should have told Mark earlier but how could I? I wasn't ready. There's welled in my eyes and I blinked they away. This isn't me. I am not supposed to cry.

" I'll get it back dad, I promise," I said stifling a sob.

" Ok honey," he said but I knew he didn't believe me. I didn't blame him. After all that happened, it was natural that he didn't.

" We still have to throw the party," he said.

" Why? "

" I don't want another threat coming your way, and I wouldn't want you to be my weakness. It's better this way, she won't be able to blackmail you any further "